Temp swings

So I have my temp set to 75, but I woke up yesterday and my temp was at 83.6 so I replaced my heater, it went down but is now back up to 78.3 can't afford a chiller. Any ideas?

Led lights. Shouldn't really be a problem seeing as how when the heater is off it is significantly cooler... But it's an ehime. Rated 60g+

Look at this I have something similar on my tank with my apex. I just like it as a security measure for my tank.

LED Digital Submersible Tropical Aquarium Temperature Heater Thermos 300W Water

http://bit.ly/ZHv57C

Sent from inside the shark tank!

@Eckolancer wrote:
Look at this I have something similar on my tank with my apex. I just like it as a security measure for my tank. LED Digital Submersible Tropical Aquarium Temperature Heater Thermos 300W Water http://bit.ly/ZHv57C Sent from inside the shark tank! said:
+1 I have something similar too.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

@CodyHeitmiller wrote:
So I have my temp set to 75 said:
I'm not sure what you are doing specifically. What's the target temperature of the tank? Put the heater in the water and let it acclimate for at least 15 minutes. IF the tank is the temperature you like (78° F), turn the knob on the heater to make the light come on, then turn it the opposite direction until the light shuts off. Do this several times until you find the exact spot where it doesn't quite come on - you want to find the sweet spot. Now if the tank drops below 78° F, the heater will come on. It will shut off again once it reaches that point. Whatever you set it to, that's what matters - NOT want it reads on the scale of the heater itself. I've had heaters that appeared to be set at 72° F, but were set perfectly for 79° F. [smilie=wink.gif]

If you have two heaters, do the exact same thing with each one.

If your tank's temperature rises but the heater light isn't on, more than likely it isn't the heater causing it at all. It could be your pumps adding heat, the canopy not allowing heat to exit, the temperature of your home, or even a faulty thermometer. Get an extra one, one of the glass ones available at your LFS. For $3, you can double check a measurement to verify the number you see is accurate or not.

Thanks. It's at 78 right now and I'm a little stressed because my sea horses need 75 I heard and my nem is stressing out from the temp changes. Sea horse in the bottom tank away from the nem. If 78 is alright for a sea horse let me know.

@Matt wrote:
Once you get your temp swings under control I would seriously consider removing the anemone. Anemones and Seahorses are not a very good mix IMO. I think it's a matter of time before you lose them to the anemone. said:
There not in the same part of the tank. But yes the plan is to get it under controle and them sell the nem.

@Marc wrote:
[I]@CodyHeitmiller wrote:[/I][quote=" even a faulty thermometer. Get an extra one said:
"]

Yes, Get one of the old school glass ones with the mercury in it. I had a digital thermometer that read 77.5. I got an Apex, and it said 75.5 I found my backup glass one and it matched the Apex. SO, for who knows how long, I was running at 75.5....lesson learned...check every once in awhile with a reliable Thermometer.

Consider running multiple thermometers on your tank. Sounds like you have a rogue runaway heater. I had one and throwing away the heater fixed the problem. Both small great DIY, consider getting an STC1000 temperature controller - $20, and a usb temperature probe for about $15. That way you can receive emails and text messages if your temperature goes out of control and the controller should be prevent rogue heaters.

It's a brand new heater though. I think it might be my pumps... But some reason the other day everything but the heater was on and it was 73, same thing today and its 78

Maybe the AC/heater in the house? Is it lower/off while your gone and turned back on when you get home? I just don't picture a pump running hotter at one point than another without there being a noise difference due to something not functioning smoothly.

@ReefJunky wrote:
Maybe the AC/heater in the house? Is it lower/off while your gone and turned back on when you get home? I just don't picture a pump running hotter at one point than another without there being a noise difference due to something not functioning smoothly. said:
Same here, I have been doing this for 8 years and have NEVER ran into this problem... I'm so confused

The temperature in your house is dictated by the HVAC system as well as humidity levels. The more humid it is, the warmer the house can get. If you aren't running the A/C quite yet, this may be part of the problem. It could be that the angle of the sun this time of year is hitting the tank with sunlight, which it doesn't in a few months.

The anemone could probably tolerate cooler waters, but odds are it didn't originate from a cooler climate. Seahorses do best around 72°F. Were you directed by the seller to keep the tank around 75°F?

Depends the type. Tropical is 74-78, subtropical 70-74 according to seahorse.org (most knowledgable sh site I'm aware of.)