Temp problem

So new rule in the house is the rooms stay at 76 degrees! Which makes my tank temp at 81.7. Does anyone have any idea what to do? I want a chiller but can only afford a used one or better said cheap one!

A fan will help with heat but it will increase evaporation as well. I've never needed a chiller running halides so long as I had fans blowing over the top of the tank.

@CodyHeitmiller wrote:
So new rule in the house is the rooms stay at 76 degrees! Which makes my tank temp at 81.7. Does anyone have any idea what to do? I want a chiller but can only afford a used one or better said cheap one! said:
A fan pointed at the water surface will lower the temp a good bit. I have this one on my 110 and while I have to take it apart and clean it every 6 months, it keeps my tank at 79. Without it, the tank creeps up to 82 by the end of the light cycle.

Right now, 81.7° F is okay, but as it creeps up to 82° or 83°you may get stressed out. Once the tank hits 85°, oxygen levels in your tank will plummet, so keep that ruled out. I've kept my tank between 80 and 82° F for several years during the summer months, and it did fine. But if the tank went over 82.5° F, my controller turned off the lights to prevent any further rise in temperature.

If you go with a chiller, you can set it to keep the tank between 78-80°F.

@Titus wrote:
[I]@CodyHeitmiller wrote:[/I][quote="So new rule in the house is the rooms stay at 76 degrees! Which makes my tank temp at 81.7. Does anyone have any idea what to do? I want a chiller but can only afford a used one or better said cheap one! said:
A fan pointed at the water surface will lower the temp a good bit. I have this one on my 110 and while I have to take it apart and clean it every 6 months, it keeps my tank at 79. Without it, the tank creeps up to 82 by the end of the light cycle."]
+1 got same fan over my sump and keeps my temp around 78-79. Walmart has it for $10 though.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

i have an Aquatek from Ebay. 4 standard size computer fans in it. you can change them out with a simple solder job if one ever goes out or if you want to upgrade, can buy the computer fans cheap at Fry's. Never had an issue with the Aquateks. pretty good build.

A 200 or 230 mm PC case fan in your sump. My chiller rarely kicks on with settings at 77.5-79. When its cool never but if I bump up the ad it will run for 20-30 min in the evenings.

DNA has a used prime chiller for $75. They say it works but its a bit loud. Might be worth checking it out. I was considering it myself