Teeth! - It can be quite tedious to make them

melev

Club President
Staff member
Board of Directors
Sponsor
[I thought I might as well post a picture of my template to cut teeth for overflows and inside my sumps.

Recently, I put this together to save myself time in the future when it came to cutting teeth, but on the second sump I already chewed up two teeth in the template. So I'll have to switch to a different router bit or find a way to protect them better.

jig.jpg
alt="">

jig2.jpg
alt="">

doublethick_jig.jpg
alt="">]

[Marc,

Are you using a bearing mounted bit? I'd think you could use a top mounted bearing bit, similar to what is used for doing dove tails when using a dove tail jig in woodworking. Actually, that's kinda what your template reminds me of.]

[Duane, I'll have to look for a top-mounted bearing bit. I've not seen any before, but that doesn't mean I wasn't simply overlooking them either. I probably was!

I know they have a collar insert for the router (I don't have one but I'm sure it's available) which could work and ride within the teeth without cutting into them. I was using a straight bit and had the shank in the template jig, but it wasn't perfectly round unfortunately. It had a depression where the carbide tip is mounted, and that started to mangle my new nice jig! :very angry:]

[Yeah, the collars would work also. Actually, i think that's the preferred manner when using those type jigs. I was thinking a top mounted pattern type straight bit might do the job though. The bearing would just ride along your template, nice and smooth like...

Something like this:

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsit....rn.html

I have that bit, and used it when I made my router table. I think it would work fine. I could bring it to the next meeting if you want to see if it would work. It's a 1/2" shank.]

[Very cool! I'm gonna buy one of those, so my jig will live a longer life! :cool grin: Thanks for the suggestion/tip!

My router can take both 3/8" and 1/2" (it's a DeWalt), so I'll see what I can find. Hopefully it is a local item and I don't have to order it online.]

[I've been real happy with the MLCS bits I've bought, and with free shipping, they are very reasonable. Similar carbide tipped bits run quite a bit more in the stores. Stay away from the cheap high speed steel crap they sell at the box stores (HD/Lowes). I've only bought a couple, and never been able to finish a project with one before it shattered. :rool eyes:

But, if you don't mind paying for them, there's a WoodCraft over in Fort Worth by the mall at I-30 by the base (damhitk), I'd be shocked if they didn't have a nice carbide tipped one in stock. BTW, I've got the Bosch 1617EVS. It was a real toss up between that or the Dewalt. Dewalt makes nice stuff. I was thinking the Dewalt was 1/4" and 1/2" shank as 3/8" is a comparatively uncommon shank.]

[Another thought, Marc, a dove tale kit looks like your jig but
it is steel, habor frieght has them cheap.
Joe
:idea:]

[Hydro,

I thought the same thing when I saw his template. I was thinking the spacing might be a bit wide on the DT template though. I've seen HF have them on sale for $19.95 and $29.95 though last winter. And...there is a HF in Fort Worth. (Don't ask me how I know this either.... :uhoh: ) Would definitely be worth a look!

Duane]

[Joe, I went to Harbor Freight. Man, when you said cheap, you weren't kidding. Each one that I saw was busted! :glare:

I went to Home Depot and Sears today to look for that bit, Duane. They only have a 1/2" wide cutting bit, where that is too wide for teeth imho. I'll have to check out Woodcraft later this week, or order one from that link you provided.]

[Btw, I didn't mean 3/8", I meant 1/4" and 1/2" bits fit in my DeWalt. Sorry about the mistake.]