TCU Reefer's 215g teardown - Updated 8/14/09

This thread is copied from RC so you can also check it out under the Large Tank forum as well.

The time has finally come. Moving out of a one bedroom apartment into a house definitely constitutes a tank upgrade. Going from a 29g to a 215g should do the trick.

Here are some initial construction pics (*EDIT*see below). The tank should be arriving late November. I can't wait!

Here are the plans for this tank:

SPS Dominant

-Melev sump? Still talking to Marc about this
-Quiet One 6000 return

-ASM G4-x skimmer w/ gate valve and recirc mod fed directly from overflow

-Closed loop powered by Reeflo Dart
-OM 4 way (Version 3 & 4) Thanks to Cass and Paul at http://www.oceansmotions.com for the great customer service and free drum!
-1 2" inlet, 4 1" returns (2 on the back center, 1 on each side)
-Plumbed with spaflex

<u>Lighting</u>

-3 x 250 watt MH (still checking out bulbs)
-4 4' VHO (2 actinic, 2 aquasun) powered by IceCap 660

-DIY lighting rack
-Melev RO/DI unit

This closet is going to run on 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits.

Whatever I've left out is what I'm still researching.

Any suggestions?

Let's try this again.

PB080140.jpg
alt="">

PB080142.jpg
alt="">

PB080143.jpg
alt="">

PB080138.jpg
alt="">

PB100146.jpg
alt="">

PB100148.jpg
alt="">

PB100147.jpg
alt="">

PB100149.jpg
alt="">

PB110157.jpg
alt="">

PB200166.jpg
alt="">

PB200167.jpg
alt="">

PB200165.jpg
alt="">

PB200163.jpg
alt="">

Can everybody see these?

Just a question, that looks like you are putting that tank into a long closet. How are you going to get that 215 in there? I know how much one weighs.

Rick,

I plan on just sliding the tank into place from the front.

Also, I had an engineer come out and he said the weight would not be an issue.

The construction looks good but I really don't think there's enough room in the closet. Once the tank goes in (and you could get it in from the outer wall I guess), how will you take care of the lighting, plumbing, etc... There seems to be no room behind the tank in the center. Won't this be a problem? You'll also have to deal with the humidity issues and keeping it cool. You won't have any access to the tank (and under the stand) from the front and limited access from the rear.

Hope it all works out.

Regards,

just guessing Rick, but I've seen people insert it from the front wall and slide it in. I assume that is why he doesn't have crown molding around the hole yet.

Looks like it will be great and you have a nice equipment list to pull it off.

Soji-I've given this a lot of consideration. Although there isn't much room directly behind the tank, I still have plenty of room on either side for maintenance (3' by 2' on each side). I'm trying to plan my setup to where a majority of my equipment and sump are on the ends for easier access. The way I look at it, I have more room in that closet than people who just have access underneath their stand. I hope I'm right. :D

As far as humidity issues, I've installed a vent fan in the ceiling and will also be running several fans for circulation.

Salty-You're right about the molding. After we get the tank in place, we'll put the crown molding around it. Maybe even a shelf on the bottom like the in-wall at Tranquil Scape.

[/quote]

Here's a not so common suggestion, since you aren't so far along yet. You may hate it, so just ponder it briefly then cast it aside. :lol:

Have the tank stick out 1/3 to 1/2" out from the wall. This will give you viewing from three sides, while still giving you depth behind the wall, and space behind the tank to work on it.

My fish room is 6' x 7', and every once in a while I think about moving the wall 2' futher back into the garage to get more space in there.

Alternately, you could add a second door to the opposite side for access to that end, perhaps.

Steve, it looks awesome to me! I would actually go by the plans that you initiated and make changes if you see fit. The tank is very heavy but I am sure that you arent going to fill it until you are comfortable with everything. I like the plans that you have made. Sounds, from talking to you, that you have done lots to make this all happen correctly. Btw...that is one long wall!!!
How much larger is the hole that was cut than the actual tank measurements that we gave you???

Marc-
I thought about having the tank jut out of the wall but the fiance didn't like that idea at all. Although this is my project, she does have significant say on those types of major decisions. I guess I'll try to make it work with the space I've got. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Frank-
Why you up so late man?
We cut the hole with an extra 3/4" on all sides so it won't be too tight of a fit when we slide the tank in. We'll just cover up the gaps with molding.

If it's not too late, you should really try to build in some type of front access. I've got an in-wall tank with access from the back only and it's a PITA. If I had it to do over again, that would be the biggest priority for me.

I can just see the contortions you'll have to do to get to the front glass on a stepladder from inside the closet- much the same contortions some of us make to reach the back of the tank. Difference is, I'm not too worried about how the back of my tank looks. :)

I don't have front access on my tank and its not that big a problem for me. How high did you build your stand? Thats the only thing I don't like about mine. I have to stand up on a step ladder just to feed the fish and I'm 6'. On the humidity I added a a/c vent in my closet and we keep the house so cold it also helps keep the temp in the tank down. I had problems with the humidity at first but I found that if I keep my closet door open then its not that bad. Its kind of hard when I walk in the closet and my cat is walking around the edge of the tank :shock: