Tap Water?

Ok, so I'm fairly new to Salt. In fact, I'm working on getting my first tank up. I did a TON of fresh water stuff for years but I was never truly happy with what fresh had to offer.

When I was in fresh, I would just use tap water with some chlorine remover to top off and water change. What I am wondering is can I use dechlorinated tap water with salt mix for my salt setup? I'm hoping to save a few bucks and most of the LFSs that sell RO water are a long way from Mesquite.

Any thoughts?

You definitely do not want to use tap water there are way too many tds or total dissolved solids in the water. A rodi unit is well worth the investment. I have a used one i could let you have for $35. Depending on how big your tank is the filters should last you quite awhile.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Yes. I. Have the attachments to connect it to the water line under a sink. The filters should last you at least six months

Do you know what model it is? I want to price out replacement filters just so I have an idea. If I do decide to come by, would tonight be ok?

No but i think all the filters are the same size. And yes we are night owls if you want to cone tonight

I've got someone else out that way who is selling me some jugs, if I can get both of you on board Ill come out, its a really long drive for me

I used tap water for about the first year of my first SW tank and never figured out why my tank kept crashing (lost all livestock 3 different times). It was the bad stuff. Once I started using lfs water which is RODI - my tank(s) have done very well. Unless you have a GOOD RODI system, you should buy your water from your lfs and NEVER use tap, not even to top off. Trust me - learn from others in this hobby about the simple yet big mistakes that could drive you from the hobby.