tank size pro's and con's

what is the big benefit or downfall of having a 100gallon tank over a 50gallon? I thought about just doing colorful Cichlids in a freshwater tank. my boys want to decorate the tank in some drift wood and rock and put 2 small bass in it and watch them grow and put minnows in it to watch them feed and just watch the bass in general because they love to fish. or I have also for the prettiness and stress relief effect it would be pretty to have a salt water talk with just corral and Aninemies(sorry for spelling) and just 3-5 pretty clown type fish or other small colorful fish. something to just sit in front of and watch. I am on a budget. after losing my leg on duty with fire station I am in a wheelchair in evenings after being in my leg all day and its sore. thanks for the help and advice

If your on a small budget you might stick to freshwater. I thought I was just going to spends hundreds on my saltwater...nope, thousands!A 50 will be a little easier to maintain but not too much different if just doing freshwater. If you go bigger, of course your water changes will be bigger so you have to think and account for that, like will you be setup and have the ability to do a 10 gallon water change or a 20 gallon water change?  Of coarse the bigger the tank the bigger the filter you need and the more filter media you will need and be replacing.Just something to think about.

Larger tank = greater water stability = less often water changes (this applies only to salt water).If freshwater could tolerate .1% nitrate/ phosphateSalt water fish can tolerate .01%Some corals might not be able to tolerate .001% Being honest of I stick my hand in a cichlid tank, most cichlid would try to bite my hand. If I put my hand on the glass, cichlid would go after my hand until they realized it was glass. My PERSONAL opinion is 99% of fresh water fish are incredibly dumb creatures. I've seen dogs that weren't as smart as 1/3 to 1/2 of salt water fish (exaggerated). My Zebra Moray Eel liked to be pet.... I've heard stories of puffers squirting water at their owner, etc., etc., etc. Caring for these delicate animals is expensive! A larger tank has higher costs!

Had I known how expensive saltwater fish tanks are, plus the increased fire /safety hazard, I would have stuck with freshwater cichlids.For example I just bought 4 gfci adaptors to go on my battery backup ports and regular surge protector ports of my ups.  That's 60$ right there, not including the ups.  Cichlids are almost impossible to kill, and only need a cannister filter to survive.  They don't even need a chiller or a heater.