Tank lost power

mginster

Premium Member
So I'm on vacation right now and have been for a week. I set up a webcam and am streaming it to check up on the tank. Last I was able to reach the net was monday and then again on Friday. When I checked it on Friday the lights were off and sent me into oh shit mode. I had my girlfriend go over and we found out that the gfi blew and the entire tank was out of power for who knows how long. The tank temp was at 69 and there was about a day worth of flake (from auto feeder) at the top so I dont think it was long. Anyway she got it up and running with me over the phone and I had her feed frozen and all of the fish still ate and seemed fine. She did not notice any coral die off either so I'm glad.

Anyway my question to you guys is, is there anything I need to do precautionary since the tank dropped that low in temp, no movement for x number of days, etc?

Here is a link to the broadcast if you wanna look lol. Thank god I decided to buy this 7 dollar webcam before vacation, without it the tank would have been completely off until Sunday late night.

http://76.242.65.241:8080/

i had a problem with my temp dropping when the weather shifted. i had a crappy heater and a cold house! it was during thanksgiving and i was out of town and forgot to set the heater in my house cuz the days were kinda mild. anyways, when i got home the temp was at 72 and i freaked out. it was probably like that for a day and 1/2. i turned my halides on for about an hour to warm up the water a couple degrees and by morning it was at 76. the fish didnt seem to care too much and over the next day i got it back to 78. so i think as long as u gradually bring the temp back up over a couple days u should be ok. and if they break out with a little ich or a coral gets stressed out, as long as u keep the temp and parameters stable after that they shouldnt have a problem readjusting. sorry to hear about all that happening. and its almost like having a baby u dont wanna leave at home just incase something like this happens. lol too much money invested for something silly to happen right as u leave the house..i'm still a newbie to this hobby as i have been doing this for less than a year, but i did go through a similar situation and i figured i would share my experience. good luck with everything!

It's also pretty funny that nothing wrong at all has happened in the 5 months this tank has been up and then right when I go on vacation the worst thing that could have gone out does.

Also my girlfriend told me my hang on back filter on my smaller 7.5 I set up about a month ago was not running at all. This happens to hold my heater also and my refug. So that one was pretty much off, only it's led lights and koralia was up and running. Luckily I have only 2 naughty emeralds in there (they were caught ripping heads off my torch and Xenia). This will be their punishment, since I wont have that one running till I get back. I did have my girlfriend put the heater in the tank directly though.