Tank is looking sad

RegalTang

Membership Expired
Hi Fellow reefers:I need help with my fish tank.? I've been in the hobby for about nine years, eight of them are saltwater.Let me tell you what's going on with my tank.? It has been running for about three years, I bought it from someone on this forum here; 75 gallons, 48"x24"x18", I love the tank.? I have a sump, Octopus skimmer, and filter socks as filtration system. For in-tank circulations I have one MP40 running half capacity.? For light I have one led strip from buildmyledlight.com.? It currently has some live rocks, four fishes (a blue hippo tang, a yellow tang, a purple tang, and a clown fish), some GSP, a toadstool, and a ricordia.It currently has hair algae and starting to show signs of bubble algae. I need help make the tank alive again.? Re-aquascaping, get rid of algae and keep my corals healthy, but needs to be low on the maintenance side because I'm quite busy with work and have two small children.I don't want to keep anything fancy, just easy corals such as frogspawn, hammer, ricordia, maybe some zoas, and toadstool.?Can you please help me get this done? You can give me instructions to follow, buy some products, or even come to my house to see for yourself.?Thank you in advance for help.Tommy469-733-2743

What do you have as far as a clean up crew goes? ? Along with manually pulling out the hair algae you'll need to make sure you have enough snails, crabs, etc to help keep it from coming back. ?

Thank you for your replies.?I don't have a cleaning crew.? what kind of snails and hermit crabs should I get?

Posted by: RegalTangI have a sump said:
How often do you clean those filter socks? Do you really need filter socks? I know I?wont clean mine as frequent as they should, so I only run them for a day or two when needed.
It currently has some live rocks said:
With no cleanup crew and what I?would consider a heavy bio load, I would trade the tangs in for some snails and smaller fish.Have you considered the volume of food? How often do you feed and how much gets consumed? How long does it take for the food to be consumed?
It currently has hair algae and starting to show signs of bubble algae....but needs to be low on the maintenance side because I'm quite busy with work and have two small children. said:
I would guess high nutrient levels with little export. I also bet those filter socks are dirty. Reducing the bio load with smaller fish means less nutrient export required.?Whats your water change schedule, How often and how much?What are the water parameters Nitrate, Phosphate, etc?

All of our Sponsors can provide what you need to get started with a clean up crew. Mexico turbo is my favorite but a good mix is the best way to go.?

Question, I read that a Foxface is a fantastic algae eater.? Even better than snails.Opinions?

@dhanas:Filter socks: I used to change them every 2 days but as I got busier and lazier, sometimes they go up to 5 days, yes, they were quite dirty then.Feeding: I feed them once a day using auto feeder with small bio-pellets, I choose the smallest opening slot, it takes about 2 minutes for all the food to be gone, then every other day with seaweed.Water change schedule:? I used to change 15 gallons every month, then got lazy so it went more than 1 month, but lately I've been changing 5 gallons every week.? I do not know the parameters, I took my water to a local fish store, they said my nitrates were high and PH was low, but this was three months ago, I did regular water changes, got rid of some fishes, cut back on feeding, took the water out to the same fish store to get tested.? He said it's good and normal now.I'm tempting to get rid of the tank because it's looking sad but if this is all it takes to get it back to normal then I'll keep it.? Thank you again for your answers.?

I don't think 6% per week is going to help much.How often can you commit to a water change??After you figure?that out, then?find a balance between bio load and maintenance. ?IMO, you need to address at least 3 things to focus on the excess nutrients/algae (not replenishing trace elements needed for the corals)?and help get to more time?between water changes, CUC, ?bio-load, and export.?1.CUC?- Others can chime in here but for 75g with a sand bed IMO: 4?Brittle Star's or?Serpent Star's, 2 x Emerald crabs, ?30 x Nassarius Snail's, 50 x?Banded Trochus Snail's(I don't like Astraea's) ?, 30 x ?Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits(I don't like red's), and the family likes to watch Blue Tuxedo Urchin's(not me). Maybe 20/40 on the snails, but you should assume die off.2. Bio-load?- IMO, Keeping 3 healthy feed tangs in 75g while keeping nitrates low enough for healthy coral with less than monthly 20% WC is near impossible. I would guess replacing the 3x tangs with smaller fish (6 line wrasse, royal gamma, a pair of?Banggai Cardinal's) would [drastically] reduce your nitrates. Smaller fish = less food and poop. ?Something to consider, I ?had a single clown in a 46g sps tank for a year with no WC. No, the SPS where not thriving, but I would give them a 7 out of 10. ?3.Export -? Reduce Nitrate and Phosphate to help keep the water clean between WC.?Without almost daily water testing testing, organic carbon is out of the question. Without [at least] bi-weekly changing carbon and GFO are out of the question. Sticking with the basics, What else is in the sump? ?Does your sump have a fuge and are you growing some?macro algae like?chaetomorpha? Grow some chaeto and pull some out as needed. I remove at least a gallon weekly with my?skimmer cup cleaning. Also,?load your sump?up with surface area for nitrifying bacteria?with live rock and or Marine Pure. This also provides a place for pods to grow that help reduce the fish food needed. That single clown had a feeding schedule that was also terrible.If your not going to change them regularly, ditch the filter socks. It does help to remove solid matter before it breaks down. The good news you can have that with lower maintenance intervals, check out the Automatic Roller Mat by?Theiling. The bad news, money and space needed.Finally, I forgot something I should have asked about first. I hope you are only using RO/DI for top off.Even with a sustainable bio load/export program for Nitrate and Phosphate?, eventually the elements beneficial to the corals are going to become depleted. If the WC schedule does not keep up with this, the corals would require a dosing program to keep those levels acceptable. I.e. my 1 year WC SPS tank was topped off with RO/DI kalk and?mag was high for?bryopsis.

I forgot about Mexican Turbo's, if you don't have stuff they will knock over, replace?10 Trochus for 3 Turbo's.

Dnahas: wow, thank you so much for the road map, I will try to follow what you had given me.?I am emotionally attach to my fishes that's why I don't want to let them go yet. My yellow tang has been with me almost six years, blue hippo and purple are my fav tangs. ?I think I can trade the blue hippo for a much smaller one to keep the bio load down. ?I can comit to biweekly water change, maybe 15 gals each time. I'm planning to buy salt and make my own water. ?Yes, I do use RO/DI water for top off.I have live rocks and sand in my sump, I used to have cheatoes and ?kalupas but not anymore, would like to have some back tho.you mentioned feeding schedule for the clown is not a good idea, do you have any other suggestions??Thank you again.

Dnahas: wow, thank you so much for the road map, I will try to follow what you had given me.?I am emotionally attach to my fishes that's why I don't want to let them go yet. My yellow tang has been with me almost six years, blue hippo and purple are my fav tangs. ?I think I can trade the blue hippo for a much smaller one to keep the bio load down. ?I can comit to biweekly water change, maybe 15 gals each time. I'm planning to buy salt and make my own water. ?Yes, I do use RO/DI water for top off.I have live rocks and sand in my sump, I used to have cheatoes and ?kalupas but not anymore, would like to have some back tho.you mentioned feeding schedule for the clown is not a good idea, do you have any other suggestions??Thank you again.