Tank gets too hot/LED lighting for corals????

cervezamoney

Membership Expired
I currently have a 125 gallon display with 4x 96w PC atentics 2x 175w 14k MH, and 1x 250w 14k MH. The heat in the tank is bad. My chiller is working to death. Could I replace my MH with LED's and still keep my corals healthy. Thanks, Matt

From what I am reading on rc led on sps corals is not as good as mh they are actually getting color fading and browning. If your chiller is on all the time you might be undersized or might look into changing to lumenbright reflectors that sit higher and less heat goes into your tank.

I also run my mh lights at night when the sun starts to go down 5 pm to 11pm

Well I guess I need to have my canopy re-worked. My mogul sockets and bulbs are like 4 in off the water. Do you think getting them up around 10-12" might help?

I am currently running 1200 watts 3x400w in LumenBright minis at around 14" above the water of a 210 and can still maintain temps now. We will see if I need a chiller when it begins to warm up.

Corwin

How far off the water is far enough? Is there any amount of t-5's, VHO's, or PC's that will replace MH's for coral growth?

@cervezamoney wrote:
How far off the water is far enough? Is there any amount of t-5's said:
t5's will grow sps the thing is you need to make sure you get individual reflectors for each t5 so the maximum amount of light is sent into the tank.

if you have a hood icecap makes a great retrofit system prewired and reflectors are mounted to a metal base. All you do is screw in the metal base to the canopy and ballast and hide the wiring.

Pampee, Thanks for the info on the lights.
I have my tank in the master bedroom 17x18(aprox) Do you think the size of the room is a big heat factor? I leave the room open most of the time, and the wife would hate to move it out of there. But I'm starting to think thats the answer. Any Ideas on that angle? I like the shimmer the MH's produce and would rather keep them than spend more money. I fear when August hits, I wont even be able to run the MH's. [Thanks everyone that has put their $.02 in. ]

Hi,

Normally 9"-10" inches above the water is ideal for MH unless you have the lumenbright reflectors. Having them at 9"-10" will be better for heat as well as greatly reducing the chance of water splashing the bulbs and having them crack. It'll also give you additional room to have a fan blow across the surface of the tank which will increase evaporation and increase cooling.

Cheers,

@cervezamoney wrote:
Pampee said:
couple things i would try that i had success when i had a tank in my master bedroom. First i used some office desk honeywell fans to run across top of my tank and my sump that cooled my tank down alot. second i had an floor type fan blowing cool air into the master bedroom as my master bedroom would be muggy due to the evaporation.

next i would look into why your chiller is on all the time either could be coolant chiller leaked out or coils are plugged up with dust (vacuum coils also see if air is going across the coils when chiller is turned on)

there is another way to check a chiller it has to do with putting a thermometer somewhere inside the chiller and it will tell you how efficient the chiller is.

Next for your size tank if you are running less than a 1/3rd chiller i would might consider looking for bigger chiller.

Really right now your chiller shouldn't be running that much..

@cervezamoney wrote:
Well I guess I need to have my canopy re-worked. My mogul sockets and bulbs are like 4 in off the water. Do you think getting them up around 10-12" might help? said:
You need a new canopy! 4" is WAY to close for comfort. I built my canopy 12" tall and my MH bulb sits about 8" above the water. I have a hole drilled on the side for a computer fan to blow in there and it keeps it cool. With the amount of lights you have you probably need at least two fans blowing into a new larger canopy. I just built PyrrhusmMJ a canopy for his 75 gallon pictured here before I drilled the two holes on the sides....

MJscanopyfinished4.jpg
alt="">
MJscanopyfinished2.jpg
alt="">