Tank Flow and Setup Questions

Hey Guys,
I have had SW tanks before, been on here awhile, got out of SW early this year. Now.... Im back in.
I am currently setting up a nano tank right now, I figure if I can deal with all the nano issues that starting my
75 back up won't be a big deal. Was hoping to get some suggestions, ideas, concerns, etc because I am still
new to this hobby- or rather really new to the Coral aspect of the hobby.

Setup:
Oceanic Biocube 14
All stock filtration materials pulled replaced with:
Higher grade activated charcoal approx 1 cup
Filter Floss (hard to estimate amount but its more than enough)
1/2 Unit ChemiPure Elite
Stealth 75 W Heater
Stock Lighting
Stock Pump Replaced with Maxijet 600 (160 gph)
AquaC Remora HOB Skimmer with Maxijet 1200 (295 gph)
Shallow sand bed (under 1")
Apprx 15-16 Lbs Live Rock from Fish2Morrow

Plans:
Mainly Softie Tank with CUC
One or two very small fish such as a Scooter Blenny or Watchman Goby (just because I like them both, dont want many fish in the setup)

Future Mods (nothing major at all):
1- Remove paint from backing of chamber 2, add Chaeto and a light to run on opposite timer of tank
2- Raise the stock Hood to allow better airflow

Questions (and your suggestions please)
1- So far the tank has a turn-over rate of 455 gph (32.5 X per hour). I have a Koralia Nano that I have not added
to the tank. This would put the turn-over rate at 695 gph (49.6X per hour). Would adding the nano be overkill
for a softie tank?
2- I am using a HOB skimmer which is currently mounted to the right side of the tank, I would love to put the
the skimmer in the back however I can't manage to fit it back there. Is there really a better option as far as a
skimmer goes. I was curious if anyone had luck mounting the AquaC Remora Nano on the back of their tank?
Also, no I wont plumb the tank for a sump.
3- My tank is having a temperature fluctuation problem right now. The tank will hover around 77 with the lights off
at night. During the day time I have seen the temperature spike to 80-81 degrees. Really not very happy about the
spike and having to constantly watch it. I was wondering would it be better to step down to say a 50 Watt heater
or try to do something more about the hood to improve airflow(see next question)
4- I'd really like to move the hood up, say 4-6 inches from where it sits stock. I have replaced the stock hood fans with
larger higher flowing PC fans, I have cut more ventilation into the hood, and the hood sits propped open on my
skimmer (see pic below). Heat is still a problem. Has anyone either tried (A) Making acrylic/ plexi braces to
lift the hood higher up or (B) made a custom hood out of wood and retrofit all the lighting and wiring to the said
custom hood with success?

2803g0.jpg
alt="">

You can see the hood propped up on the skimmer intake, just hate the way it looks. Also yes its clody, I just moved
some filtration stuff around. I also know I could use some more rock just haven't had the time to make the 180 mile
round trip to Fish2Morrow to pick some more up.