Sunburst Ponies

Right now they're in a 5g nano with 2 juvi Kudas. From what I read at Ocean Rider, they need 3x their body length in height. I just measured them and they're close to 4", not 6".

For full grown erectus you will need at least a 20" tall tank preferably 24". Even at 4" you need to get them out of the 5g as soon as possible.

I agree...especially since they are sharing space with Kudas. Erectus emit toxins, I believe, that are harmful to other kinds of horses. And in such a small amount of space.... :?

Yes you should Quarantine any new arrivals before mixing them with other horses, especially horses of different species and from different sources. You are asking for trouble mixing them without a QT period first.

Also they look to be pretty thin but that could be from shipping. I would go out and buy a 10 gallon to hold them in while you cycle your tank. In a 5 gallon nano you're just asking for trouble.

I will add they are beautiful - do them justice and give them better quarters.

Ocean Rider has a very good reputation of maintaining and selling healthy seahorses. I asked them if they're compatible with my Kudas and they said yes. I've a 10g cycling right now and will get on it.

I agree with Carolyn completely. Your kudas may be as healthy as can be on their own and then the introduction of a new horse can suddenly cause a seemingly healthy horse to go down....believe me, I know! Don't want to risk your Kudas health either!

@rchan11 wrote:
Ocean Rider has a very good reputation of maintaining and selling healthy seahorses. I asked them if they're compatable with my Kudas and they said yes. I've a 10g cycling right now and will get on it. said:
It has nothing to do with their reputation. Mixing horses even of the same type from different breeders can cause serious health problems in the horses. It all has to do with what types of bacteria etc that they have been introduced to in their native environment that your current horses may not have a built up immunity to.

Oooh, pretties!

Do these keep their color, or do they change color when their enviroment changes? Sorry, I don't keep horses, so I was just wondering.

Beautiful horses. One of my first horses was a sunburst. Mine was more peach in color. In my experience Ocean Rider has great quality seahorses. Truthfully they are the only place I trust. I would be more worried about what the Kudas could pass on to your Sunbursts then the other way around.

The reason you are not supposed to mix horses is because it is said that different species of seahorses carry vibrio that they are immune to but other species are not. Are your Kuda captive bred also?

Wow! those are sooo great looking. That makes me want to start another tank.

Just asked the wife. She said, "no" *doh!*

I'll convert her soon. Or get a new one!j/k :wink:

-Chuck
my 900th post.