sump overflow

Actually, if you have a handy (reefing) trashcan, grab some 1" tubing and siphon out the fish and water at the same time. I sucked a clown goby out of an acro colony once because he was doing too much damage. I used a 5g bucket, so I had about 40 seconds to play with. I got him out in 3g. ;)

I've had a flame hawk, yellow yang (!), and just recently a flame angel end up in my overflow. The flame hawk I was able to get using a small water bottle trap with the opening cut out and replaced inverted. Put some mysis in and dropped it in with some string attached. Came back in half an hour, pulled up the bottle, and he was in the bottle. The yellow tang I had to use a net but was able to take out the pipe easily. On the flame angel, I was going to do the bottle trap aging but kept procrastinating and just when I was going to get around to doing it, a friend of mine found him swimming around in the sump, so he eventually made it through the plumbing on his own. Which just reminded me I've actually had four fish in the overflow. The jawfish in my avatar also made the same journey the flame angel did. Thought he had died but found him in the sump several weeks after he went missing.

The one inch line might just work. I have some of that somewhere. But he is pretty big, about three inches long, so hope I don't hurt him. The overflow area is too small to get a trap into. There's only an inch to work with because of the way it's shaped on top with the eurobracing. I will try to post a pic. He's still coming up and looking at me and eating. Seems pretty content with his situation.

Kay

Here are a few pics. I haven't tried to get him out yet. The overflow area is very small. I think I'll try to siphon it out since the pipe won't come out and hope I can get him with a net. Can you see my pic? Looks X'd out. Why would that be?

Kay

Yes, I'd siphon him out. It's not a good idea to mess with that overflow drain pipe, especially with that much sediment at the base.

If you have a wet dry just suck him up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried to get him out. I shut off the return pump. Tried to get a one inch hose down into it. Couldn't get it past the pipes. Then I tried a half inch hose and still couldn't get it past the pipes. Then tried 3/8 inch and got it down to the bottom of overflow. Got all water out but one inch. My net on a stick is awkward. I can get it down to the bottom, but the fish is going down in the sediment. The area is so small, it's very hard to maneuver a net down there, which is a small net. I can't get my hand all the way down there as my arm is not long enough, and it wouldn't even fit anyway. Here is a pic of the overflow. I had to give up and restart my tank.

If there was a way to get a shop vac hose down there that would be great. But I can't even get a one inch hose to fit. Is there a way to get a pump and suck out all that sediment and the fish with it? A pump won't fit down in there though.

Kay

@Kay wrote:
I tried and I got my husband to try. He put a lot of muscle to it and said it would break if he pulled any harder. I did get it moving around a little. I could actually see the tank moving said:
OK, this is probably a stupid question, but how is the pipe connected at the bottom of the tank? Is it glued into a bulkhead? If so, then pulling wouldn't do any good, but unscrewing the bulkhead from underneath should make it (and all the water/fish in the overflow) come right out. Even if it's just pressed into the bulkhead but stuck, you should be able to unscrew it from underneath, right?

I can't really see how it's connected at the bottom due to all the sediment, so I could be way off here...

The plumber said it wasn't glued. It's probably built up a lot of stuff. I had a problem with my pumps at one point just getting covered in the calcium and failing and had to pull them apart to get the stuff out, the skimmer pumps and the return pump.

I will call him and see what's the best way to get it out. I may have to have him out. Maybe the little guy will jump.

Kay

A little worm on a little barbless hook on light fishing line? Put its favorite food on the hook and reel him in! I have plenty of tiny hooks you can have, and fishing line, too!

David

Okay. I will try it. Are you going to Frank's today? That seems to be my only option now since he is eating. But putting mysis shrimp on a hook? They must be tiny. If you're available today I will swing by and get you to show me how to do it. Kay

Fish rescued! Here's a pic. Robert came out and rescued him and helped me with my overflows. Thanks Robert! (Fish2morrow). You can see him in the corner at the back.

Kay

He used a net with a long metal like handle, very long, and a flash light and held him against the glass and brought him up. He had to make two tries, but he's okay and eating. He'd been in there almost two months.

Kay