Strange "Creepy Crawlers" found!!!

I woke up this morning and found some strange looking centepede type bugs on one of my rocks. I thought I had seen something last night pop out of a whole in this particular rock, but I now see a few of them populating on and within this rock. They are very small and I don't think I will be able to get a picture becuase they are very fast too - going in and out of holes very quickly.

Any suggestions what these might be and what I need to do?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

Most like they are bristle worms and a normal life in a tank and on the reef.
http://images.google.com/images?q=bristle+worms&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=9d2aSfHOJo-Etge10KmgCw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title

Agree with Rick - probably bristleworms, and the majority of the time, these are harmless, and even desirable. From what I've read, having lots of these could mean you're over-feeding a bit. How much do you feed? You could back-off the feeding a bit and it could reduce their numbers.

I am feeding twice per day (1 cube per feeding)
I have 3 hungry tangs, 2 clows, 4 chromis, 1 goby and 2 shrimp.

It seems the food does not have time to hit to rock before these guys suck it up. The goby never gets to enjoy the feast unless I drop the bottle down there and give him a few.

I am still wondering if that scheule is recommended. Everyone has different opionions.

Totally depends on how many fish you have and tank size, but I've heard of people feeding 1 cube every other day, even once a week. So there isn't a set schedule...My last tank I had was a 100 gallon tank with 4 fish,
Anthias and Goby. I fed one cube per day

The one thing I have never heard of is anyone having problems from underfeeding. Though the opposite is the source of many problems we run into.

feed as much as thaywill eat two times a day if you have snails and crabs feed
a little more than thay will eat so the invers can have some. a good rule is feed as much as thay will eat in three minits and one other rule is if any food hits the bottum that is to much but dont forget the crabbs.

As has already been mentioned, they are usually harmless and even desirable. Having said that though, I one day discovered a big one in my tank. It would only come out during feeding time, and no matter how much I told myself they were beneficial, the big one still creeped me out. :)

A couple weekends ago, I decided to redo the aquascape in his side of the tank. I took the rock out he was living in, and only then did I realize how long he was. He was about 8" long!!! Yuck!

There is a limit.. people have had issues with sick fish, malnurished fish etc. Just my opinion, but a lot of issues I attribute to lack of feeding such as fish nipping at corals, aggression, fish jumping, illnesses and the like... There are also many reports of coral fading/pasteling and coral death because there is not enough food to go around.

While its not as common as nitrate and PO4 problems, underfeeding is just as bad long-term if its taken to an extreme.

Ultimately the trick is to find a balance between feeding and the tanks capability to remove nutrients. Reduced feeding is often looked at as a method of making your tank healthier when in fact it will have the opposite effect. Things such as macro algae, better skimming, better water change habits etc should be employed first.

Bristleworm populations will grow/contract with the tanks lifecycle. Most are harmless. The larger worms you need to properly ID as some can be predatory and unseen until they reach a certain size. Provided you don't have losses to things like snails, clams, corals etc you are probably fine, but if you start losing things for no apparent reason, you want to keep an open mind about the larger worms. We see them pop up on a regular basis, Marc had a few not too long ago. So getting a photo of it if possible is a good idea, for peace of mind if nothing else.

Even worms in families considered undesirable can be beneficial as the particular species dietary habits vary. Fireworms are a good example of that. Some are relatively harmless unless you touch them, while others are fish and invert predators and most of them in the family will grow rather large. These are often confused with bristle worms, as are some of the predatory ones, so an ID is important.

A general rule.. if it has antennea or a vice/pincher type mouth, its bad. If the head segment is a very well defined head that varies greatly from the rest of the segmented body, there should be a concern. Black or Dark Brown, like chocolate are usually problem children. Bright colors such as right reds, oranges, yellows etc are always a concern and should be ID'd if possible.

When in doubt, pull it out and isolate it. Its easier to put it back in if it turns out to be harmless than being on a constant search for it after its gone back into the crevices.