stocking ?

this may seem like a dumb question... i know the are "rules" for fish keeping. ive geard thar 1"/fish per 5g of saltwater is what you should go by for stocking a tank. is this common practice? then for a 55g i could have 11" of fish. Do i have too many fish in my tank??? and my tank is a DAS.

small Yasha Goby
Golden Midas Blenny
Starry Blenny
Flame Angel

is this too much???
if i could add what else??
just looking for a little input.

I would not say that is too much. In fact, I have mroe than that in my 24gal nano! (Ok, just 1 more Flame Angel)

The limit really comes down to what your filtration can handle, and how much space there is for the fish to live (places to hide but also open water to swim in).

In a 55, I wouldn't add anything that has a potential to get "big". I'm a proponent of "more smaller fish looks cooler" with the occasional big guy. What you could do is get 2 or 3 more Flame Angels to add in. This can be tricky though, as you need to make sure you have only 1 male, and add them all in at the same time. You'll have to remove your present flame to another tank for a short time, and rearrange the rock a little so he doesn't have a "set territory". Once they all get introduced, there'll be a little chasing around after a day or two, but it'll settle down. A Flame Angel "harem" is pretty cool to watch.

thx for the input. adding more angels wont be a problem.. he died today :( idky. i checked all my water parameters were fine. he started hiding and when it was eating time he came out but acted confused. bummer.

I'm sorry to hear that. How long had you had him? I've found that most Flame Angels that have been been collected through bad methods (like cyanide) will die within 3 weeks, if that. If you can make it past that mark you're generally good. Make sure when you select Flames that they eat, aren't too small, nor too big. There's a size in the middle that is perfect.

thx for the info. someone else said that. i'd had him for 2 wks. such a bummer... i hate it when any fish dies, esp one so beautiful.

Amanda,

That stocking 'rule' is a basic starting point at best. The limitations of what fish and how many you keep in your tank will be determined by 3 factors, their growth, the amount of space they can co-habitat in peacefully and the amount of food/waste they produce vs how you export it. Your starting point is actually understocked, you could squeeze a few more in without a problem depending on the species and your setup. Compatibility and waste removal are the most critical.