Stocking List Opinions Please

JRM2468

Premium Member
It apears that I have been bitten by the SW bug after doodling w/FW for years, lol. Well, I have got the tank set up with sand and water flowing through the PVC. While I was waiting on my live rock (100 - 150lbs) I figured that I might as well put a stock list together and get some feed back. I am looking at setting up a mixed reef. I am afraid that the zoas will be the end of me (if I make it to them). Please give your opinions freely. Here is a little info on the set up:

The tank is a 90G BF (18" middle 12" on the ends / 27" tall / 48" long

The sump is a Pro Clear Aquatic Systems 10" X 16" X 24" (10" X 9" area of 5" SB) input / refuge / return. I will be placing Chaeto after the Cycle is complete.

The return pump is a Pondmaster Mag 18 Approximately 1100 GPH (It seems to be a little strong to me) I had to guess at the type of pump because I bought it used and the only info was on the name plate: Model 18b Utility Pump

There is 250W X 2 MH (500W total) for lighting ATM.

RO/DI that I will win at Nextwave....LOL. So..... on to the list.

Clean Up Crew:
10 - Bumble Bee Snails Display
5 - Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits - All Display
5 - Dwarf Zebra Hermit - All Display
10 - Banded Trochus 5 - Display
10 - Caribean Cerith 5 - Display
10 - Margarita Snail 5 - Display
4 - Peppermint shrimp - All Display
1 - fighting conch - Sump

FIsh (In stocking order):
1 - Midas Blenny (Ecsenius Midas)
1 - Dracula Goby (Stonogobiops dracula)
1 - Alpheus Randall to pair w/ the Dracula Goby
2 - Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion Ocellaris)
1 - Red Scooter Dragonet (Synchiropus Stellatus)
1 - Blackcap Gramma (Gramma Melacara) or Fridmani Pseudochromis (Pseudochromis fridmani)
1 - Purple Tang (Zerasoma Xanthrum)?
1 - Red Mandarin (Pterosynchiropus Splendidus)

I need to insert a clam and some corals in there as well. I need to do some more research on them though. The clam is the only must have per the wife ATM. Thanks again for any and all feed back.

@JRM2468 wrote:
The return pump is a Pondmaster Mag 18 Approximately 1100 GPH (It seems to be a little strong to me) I had to guess at the type of pump because I bought it used and the only info was on the name plate: Model 18b Utility Pump Clean Up Crew: 10 - Bumble Bee Snails Display 5 - Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits - All Display 5 - Dwarf Zebra Hermit - All Display 10 - Banded Trochus 5 - Display 10 - Caribean Cerith 5 - Display 10 - Margarita Snail 5 - Display 4 - Peppermint shrimp - All Display 1 - fighting conch - Sump FIsh (In stocking order): 1 - Midas Blenny (Ecsenius Midas) 1 - Dracula Goby (Stonogobiops dracula) 1 - Alpheus Randall to pair w/ the Dracula Goby 2 - Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion Ocellaris) 1 - Red Scooter Dragonet (Synchiropus Stellatus) 1 - Blackcap Gramma (Gramma Melacara) or Fridmani Pseudochromis (Pseudochromis fridmani) 1 - Purple Tang (Zerasoma Xanthrum)? 1 - Red Mandarin (Pterosynchiropus Splendidus) I need to insert a clam and some corals in there as well. I need to do some more research on them though. The clam is the only must have per the wife ATM. Thanks again for any and all feed back. said:
My input...

Pump is too big.. should be pushing 800 or less through there not 1100. Dialing back will wear it out and generate more heat so consider swapping it for an Eheim. Less energy, less heat and better performance. Your flow should come from your powerheads, not the return....

I adhere to a firm no crab policy.. up your snails slightly and unless you absolutely love the hermits, leave them out of the mix. They will eventually eat the snails either to get the shells or just because that is how they roll.....

No bumble bee snails.. they are whelk species and are omnivores. Many people keep em... but eventually they will find the other snails and prey upon them. Again up one of the others in favor of peaceful community.

I would add a couple of cleaner shrimp. You'll rarely see the peps out and if you want to see shrimp in the tank, cleaners are the way to go. You can still keep the peps of course.

If you have a sand bed, even if its not a DSB, toss in 20-30 nassarius vibex into the mix.

If you like zoanthids, consider a different tang than the purple as they are known to eat em. I had a 3-4" inch one I needed to pull for just that reason, though the 7" one I have in the 300G doesn't touch em. Sailfins, Dejardini, Hippo and Sohals are also known to do it. Consider a Kole Tang if you like the purpish coloration.

Wait about 4-6 months before adding the dragonet and mandarin as you'll want a good pod population to build up first. Not sure how they will do together either.... but the pod rule applies to both and I would pick one over the other as a 90 seems big but with two big pod hunters in there, you might run out of food for them both.

Some time ago, in one of the newsletters there was a fantastic article done on snails and which are good for our systems and which should be avoided. I can't find it now though. Anyone remember which month that was in?

One of the things I remember reading in it though was that Margarita snails don't typically do well in our tanks because of the temperature. From about thirty seconds of research on google, the temperature range they prefer appears to be 70-76, but that's just a cursory look and not from any real reputable sources.

Thanks for the input and the great article (Feb 09)...... It looks like I will replace the Bumble bees, all crabs, and margarita with some nassarius vibex, nerite snails, and some black limpits. If there are anymore suggestions, please let me know.

@Gramalkin wrote:
Some time ago said:
there is a search on our newsletters page now if you ever need to find something in a past edition

http://dfwmas.org/newsletters