Starting up a 34 gal. solana

Not sure if this is still considered a nano, but with 50lbs of live sand and 50 pounds of live rock it is under 30 gals. :D

Anyway, I'll post some pictures of the tank, stand, & lights tommorrow. It doesn't seem that to many people have this tank yet. I love the rimless look of the tank. I also purchased the Disco ball 150w de halide set up with it.

If anyone has one of these setups let me know what your experience has been with it. My first one leaked so I had to take it back and so far no troubles with the new tank.

i've had one for about a month now. i do love the rimless look. the stand to me seems like it isn't all that sturdy. i went with the sunpod instead of the hanging pendant. for additional flow i went with one tunze 6055 nanostream.

I couldn't even put my stand together. The screws broke off when I was drilling them in. So I have a cabinet with no doors.

How much evaporation do you have? Do you keep the lid on or off?

thanks

i keep the lid off. I think my evaporation rate is about 4 gallons per week right now. I know once it gets warmer, it will be higher because I will start using a fan for evaporative cooling.

very nice looking tank. I thought I was leaking water because I was using about 4 gallons a week also. I feel better now. Thanks

I tried to upload photos but it keeps telling me I'm uploading a empty file. :?

Figured it out, I resized the picture.

i have it empty right now but I'll be making it into a fuge soon also.

I just found a snail on my bedroom floor that dived out of the tank. I've had tanks off and on for over 5 years now and thats a first for me. :shock:

do you like the response that you get from having just the 150 watt MH and no actinic? How do the corals seem to be doing with only one source of lighting?

This seems to be an issue with all the stock MH systems for nanos.. NO ACTINIC!

@expanding_reef wrote:
do you like the response that you get from having just the 150 watt MH and no actinic? How do the corals seem to be doing with only one source of lighting? This seems to be an issue with all the stock MH systems for nanos.. NO ACTINIC! said:
Thats the one draw back that I've seen so far. I do however have the 12k or 14k light. I can't remember what one it is. It does have a nice blue tint to it.

I'm wanting to get some input on adding a fuge to add about 30 more gallons of water to this tank. If anyone knows how I can go about doing this please feel free to chime in.

Thanks

I am considering buying this exact setup in the next week or so. Everything still going okay with your setups? I thought the tank looked very nice in the store. My only concern was heat in the summer and that 150 MH hanging over the tank. In terms of a connecting it to a fuge, I'm sure you could mod the back to allow drain to a fuge. I might go take a look here at lunch.

i still love this tank, however if I was going to purchase again I wouldn't buy this light. I would have gone with something that sits over the top of the tank. I'll be buying something soon!

Also, I've never had a heat issue so far. I doubt I will because my wife keeps the a/c on 72 :shock: and I don't use the glass top.