SPS Fragging Question??

Aldente P.

Premium Member
I have never fragged sps.
When i cut a branch off, is there a certain spot like under a side branch or at the bottom of the limb that is better to cut or just anywhere is ok. After cutting is there anything i should do to the exposed area? Or do you cut mount and let it be? TIA Jesse
I have this posted in sps forum but thought i would get an answer faster in this forum. Hope i didnt break any rules.

You just cut it where ever you decide is the appropriate place. Try to use some heavy cutters that will cut it instead of crushing it. You will end up with less small pieces. Then use super glue and mount it on whatever you choose. It is easier if you mount it to a dry piece and let it sit for a couple of minutes before putting it back into the water. It will acclimate and grow onto the new mount faster if you give it similar exposer to the lighting.

i use garden pruners to frag my corals. I perfer to cut not so close to the base. so it can regrow and i can prune another frag in a couple months....some people mount them horizontally while others mount them vertically.

Thanks, i will use gel next time. The regular took longer than it should have to set, and i had to be perfectly still. Which is hard for me! :D