Spaghetti coral - Best way of propagation

[??? What would be the best way to frag a 5in. tall sinularia flexalis (bad spelling) with three main stalks sorry.Thanks
Adley :eek:h:]

[Sinularia is a leather, and Anthony Calfo talked about fragging softies like that.

If I'm wrong here, someone should chime in and correct me:

You can take a plastic zip-tie, and wrap it around the section you want to frag. Fit it snugly. Then every day or two, tighten it another notch. The coral will heal as you tighten it, and when it comes loose, the main body will not be affected since it was slowly fragged.

Plus, your new frag may very well be attached to the ziptie, allowing you to use that to secure it to a new spot perhaps.]

[Marc,
According to Calfo you are right. The only different factor in this leather is that it is slimy.I don't know if that would make any other difference. Thanks for the zip tie tip. I haven't finished Calfo's book. :)
Adley]

@Marc wrote:
[Yeah, I think you're right Marc. Wish I had a copy of his book in front of me though.

If I remember right from MACNA, he breaks them up into the type of leather, and I think there's some very unstable leathers that you can't cut. I know you can cut sarcophytons, people cut up toadstools all the time and rubberband them down. But I think if you cut a sinularia the mother colony will fall apart basically. So, you have to slowly constrict the piece off and then tie it with a cotton string. It sounds wierd for a coral whose branches are so thin, but I think constriction is the key.]