Some pics and i also need plumbing advice

chrisT

Membership Expired
[With all this talk about cavitation and different size plumbing to remedy these troubles I figured I would get some advice before I got started.

I have two 1.25" dursos threded into 1" bulkheads. I was going to continue the drains with unions, ballvalves and spaflex in 1.25" plumbing.

The return is where Im stuck. I have read that I need double my pump output. A mag 1800 has a .75" outlet which means I need1.5"plumbing? I was wondering if I could get away with 1.25", also when I reach the .75" return bulkhead can I continue with .75" plumbing or do I need to falre back out to 1.25?

The light colors represent where I plan on using Spa FLex.

Here is a picture to help clear it up.

Plumbing.jpg
alt="">

Tight fit in the over flow.

dursos.jpg
alt="">

Stand, tank and canopy

wholetank.jpg
alt="">]

[AHHHH too many pictures.

This was my first sump, thanks to marc and his website, and thanks to weldon 16. :lookaround:

sorry for the fuzzy pic.

sump1.jpg
alt="">

This is the back of the canopy, I made some acrylic fan housings to mount the fans, another one of marcs's ideas. :beer: . I made the light brackets out of copper plumbing. Cut the pipe, sweat the joints then painted with appliance spray paint. It also gave the lights more room for air circulation.

canopy11.jpg
alt="">

This is a shot of the reflectors, mogul sockets, and t5 actinics

lights.jpg
alt="">

I am hoping to have the tank cycling by chritmas! :wwww:]

[Very nice Chris.

Re - double pump output - In my experience if I use a larger output to pump's outlet, the water coming out is weak. I'm using Mag 18 for my 211 g tank. I have sea swirl 1 inch connected at the end - and the output from sea swirl is not strong to push the water as far as I like.]

[Peter is correct that you will get less velocity when you have bigger piping but you actually get more flow!

You won't have cavation issues since your input is "infinite" diameter.

As far as flaring back out it is a personal choice. That return bulkhead will already squeeze the flow down to 3/4" so you won't gain a lot of flow but you will gain a little by flaring back put but you will loose the velocity as mentioned above. I would probably stick with a 3/4" everywhere.

The small return bulkhead is going to really limit your flow. Even a 1" return bulkhead would have increased it by several hundred GPH. I think you will be lucky to get 1000 GPH from the setup!

Honestly If I were you I would buy a Mag 9.5 or so for the sump/return pump (remember you only need to turn it over 3-5 times) and use that Mag 18 for a closed loop where you can plumb it with 1.5 inch plumbing and get some serious flow out of it. Just hate to see all that power wasted!

Looking sweet by the way and great job so far!]

Edited By kwl1763 on 1101917464

[I would use 1.5" as long as you can. Then reduce it where you must - at the bulkhead. After the bulkhead, you could increase it to 1" again all the way to the water's surface creating a 2" bottleneck at the bulkhead only.

Optionally, you could simply not use those returns and plumb it up from behind.]