Skimmer question

My friend told me he only runs his skimmer about 6 hours a day.. I have a triggers systems setup and the skimmer is external. It works great and always pulls skimmate. Should I put this on a timer? He was speculating that was why my acans tentacles hardly come out. It is fed by a mag 5. What do you all think?

It may be larger actually, I dont really know for sure. I bought my 90 used about 18 months ago. It doesnt seem to be a problem with the acans as they look full and healthy, in other tanks I have seen though they have sweepers out all the time. I have chalices, sps, lps, softies, all kinds of stuff and like I said its working well, he thought it might be overdoing it i guess. I dont know where he got that advice. I just looked and its a ts-24r fuge with the TS 150 skimmer, looks like its a mag 7 or 9 maybe. bigger than a 5 smaller than a mag 12.

Okay thats good. It just made me wonder, I had never heard anything like that before. What are your thoughts on a calcium reactor. Bill @ neptunes cove advised me against it and he knows his stuff, but after reading it seems like the concept of a reactor would be more beneficial than just reef complete. Most of the really nice tanks use them right?

@Aquascapes wrote:
Okay thats good. It just made me wonder said:
Some do, some don't and use dosing instead. Its a personal choice, one of ease, control and perferred method. Reactor vs Dosing does not have a 'which is better for the corals' ingredient to it.

I won't speak for Bill, but if he advised you not to go with a reactor, there could be many reasons from the size of your tank, your alk/ca needs, cost or experience level etc. Ca reactors are not for beginners.

Yeah I wouldn't really classify myself as a beginner, except with calcium reactors. I maintain 3 marine tanks currently and have been keeping tanks for about 18 years now. I find the automation more appealing than the results I guess. It would be nice to look at a meter that is always on instead of breaking out the basket of salifert tests all the time. It also has to do with the fact its a part of the hobby I dont know much about. I think Bills only objection is the fact that he feels like it makes people lazy and that can result in major issues. I have about 50 corals, mostly zoo's, acans and about 5 SPS pieces. My current SPS corals are doing good but they are easy. I am afraid to buy the really limited edition stuff though because I know they are delicate and I dont want to kill anything. All of the really awesome tanks I see use reactors so I just figured it was the next logical step. I got my wavemaker, chiller and I am running about 7 watts per gallon with halides. I have done some more research and I think its about that time. I have that CO2 system already so I think I just need the reactor and pump and I am good to go.

Growth in my tank really took off when I added a calcium reactor. Before the reactor I did a two part dosing routine.

Setting up and running is not difficult as long as you have a good understanding of the Alk, Ca, and pH relationship.

Well I won't talk you out of it, but I think based on you said about your tank and the corals in it, you'd probably be a better candidate for dosing than a reactor. Your demand will not be all that high to keep your alk and cal in check. Of course I freely admit to being biased towards dosing simply because its safer and has fewer mechanical parts to worry about. The biggest fear with a reactor is a mechanical failure at some point, like a line clogging and melting your media, co2 sticking on or shut, pumps failing that kind of thing.

Do you have a controller by chance??? If so, using a couple of Drews Pumps on the timer will be simple and cost effective.

If not, then you'd want to get a controllable dosing pump like the Litermeter. You basically calibrate it once for volume, then over the course of a week or so, figure out your daily dosing amounts. It will squirt small quantities of solution into the tank 50 or so times a day to keep your parameters stable and avoid spikes etc. The problem with them is they tend to be a bit costly unless you can get one used. New they run about $450 or so for the base unit and secondary pump.

Dosing also has a storage component to it. You'll want to buy bulk quantity ca, alk and mg. Its basically 4 5-gallon buckets at the cheaper end of the bulk quantity scale, though they do come in small quantities they just cost a tad bit more. 1 gallon of each will run you about 25 bucks and will probably last you a month or so if not longer.

So there is an initial investment on both, if you have the CO2 gear, that reduces your cost on the reactor, but a good reactor will still run you $200-400 new. The media is about the same as the bulk products...

The other thing that I like about dosing over the reactor is that you can dose in different quantities. Your tank will use ca and alk at different levels over time. So for example... 50ml of ca and 75 ml of alk per day... if you have a reactor, it basically does them both at the same level. Over the course of weeks, your numbers can flux and you end up having to dose some anyway to get it back to where you like to keep it.

Both methods work fine though, so either route you go you should be happy with the result. Its just the equipment, process and procedures etc that vary.

Man that is a serious reply, and its nice to hear from someone who knows what they are talking about. I didn't really look at that side of things but you do make some really good points about equipment failure. That is no fun at all... I hate to get off the original topic but I will start a new post maybe on the reef chemistry forum. I would like you to take a look at my tank specs and if you have some time, maybe you could offer me some advice on a daily dosing regiment. I have heard some many different things around dosing and what is best. I do plan on starting to add some really high end show peices soon and I really want to be on point with this stuff. Maybe if you have some best practices I will stick with dosing a little longer and see what happens. I am in no hurry to spend another $500. Thank you so much for the feedback!!

@washingtond wrote:
Growth in my tank really took off when I added a calcium reactor. Before the reactor I did a two part dosing routine. said:
Yep your tank did seem to take off based on the photos. Curious, when you were dosing were you doing single daily doses or did you use a pump that put out small quantities all day long?

@DaveJ wrote:
[I]@washingtond wrote:[/I][quote="Growth in my tank really took off when I added a calcium reactor. Before the reactor I did a two part dosing routine. said:
Yep your tank did seem to take off based on the photos. Curious, when you were dosing were you doing single daily doses or did you use a pump that put out small quantities all day long?"]

I did a daily dose along with a Kalk drip; the reactor replaced the two part but still doing the kalk drip. A dosing pump would even out the dose during the course of the day. By the way I have my reactor on a pH controller to prevent any chance of melt down. Over the long haul the reactor maybe cheaper to operate but the cost of getting in is high and that means the payback or break even point if you reach it will be ten or more years out.

On another note we just dose the two part and kalk drip on our 75 gal tank as it is not cost effective to install a reactor on that tank. It contains only soft and LPS corals so the Ca demand is low compared to the 200 gal tank that contains SPS corals. Both tanks are really doing great right now.

@washingtond wrote:
[I]@DaveJ wrote:[/I][quote="[I]@washingtond wrote:[/I][quote="Growth in my tank really took off when I added a calcium reactor. Before the reactor I did a two part dosing routine. said:
Yep your tank did seem to take off based on the photos. Curious, when you were dosing were you doing single daily doses or did you use a pump that put out small quantities all day long?"]

I did a daily dose along with a Kalk drip; the reactor replaced the two part but still doing the kalk drip. A dosing pump would even out the dose during the course of the day. By the way I have my reactor on a pH controller to prevent any chance of melt down. Over the long haul the reactor maybe cheaper to operate but the cost of getting in is high and that means the payback or break even point if you reach it will be ten or more years out.

On another note we just dose the two part and kalk drip on our 75 gal tank as it is not cost effective to install a reactor on that tank. It contains only soft and LPS corals so the Ca demand is low compared to the 200 gal tank that contains SPS corals. Both tanks are really doing great right now."]

It would be interesting to see how the tank would have responded to the mini-doses through the day as opposed to the daily dose.

@DaveJ wrote:
[I]@washingtond wrote:[/I][quote="Well I will be retiring soon and will have plenty of time to experiment. said:
Really?? That's great! Should I send condolences over to the wifey?? ;)"]

Too soon to tell, ask six months in. :lol: