Skimmer Overflowing with just water.

Joe Reborn

Premium Member
On Friday 12-18-2010 i used Red Slime Remover to combat Red Slime. The LFS i got it from said to turn my skimmer off and turn lights off for the first day of treatment and to remove any Carbon and turn off UV(which i don't have). So i shut off the skimmer, then i did the treatment. Kicked the lights on the 2nd day and the red slime was gone (very little left). After the 48 hours it tells you to wait i did a 10gal water change and then turned the skimmer back on. When i did this i noticed that the Skimmer collection cup fill up quickly with bubbly water then the bubbles go away and its just Clear water. It takes it about 20-30sec. to fill the cup up. I added Carbon, i did a 10gal water change (on a 75gal tank with about 90-100lbs of rock.) and i can't seem to make the skimmer not overflow the Collection Cup with just water. Should i just give it more time and see what happens? The Treatment i used said there was not water change needed after treatment. I used the Ultra Life Red Slime Remover. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

I haven't used that product but after chemiclean (cyano remover), skimming was very bubbly and watery. Just keep skimming and replace lost water with SW to maintain salinity. It should stop. I skimmed 3-4 gallons before it was normal. A waterchange couldn't hurt!!

Ok i will do that tomorrow. I did do a 10gal water change. It did slow down the Bubbling a bit. Thanks for the Help.

What type of skimmer are you using, Brand, Model Number? It is not abnormal for a skimmer to "go nuts" after a treatment like this so what you need to do is dia down the skimmer. Now how that is done depends on the answer to the question I started out with. I have an ASM G2 and to get it skim dryer I lower the tube where the water flows out of the skimmer. This lower the water height in the skimmer chamber and then allows the bubble more time to do their job. So figure out how to do this, getting it down to the lowest setting and let it run dry and as it gets better then dial it up.

Its a Reef Octopus NWB-110 Internal Protein Skimmer. The Valve is all the way open i should have mentioned that.

I wouldn't panic too much. You could turn the skimmer off until you can do another water change. It will all of a sudden go back to normal, at least mine did. Or just skim really wet with the valve open til it stops.

I've dealt with this before and it takes a while for the chemiclean to get out of your system and until then it's going to cause excess foam in your skimmer. I usually just put a restriction on the air flow coming into the skimmer to bring down the foam. The regulator I used is just a little adjustable air line valve from an air pump kit.

509821.jpg
alt="">