silencing return pumps - looking for large silicone tubing

rere85

Premium Member
 I have a reeflow dart return pump that is hard pvc plumbed to my sump then returns to my tank via flexible pvc.  i am getting terrible vibrations on my sump wall making alot of noise.  from most opinions the only way to stop the vibrations is to use silicone tubing between the sump and pump.  but the problem is no one has 2" silicone tubing.  can someone help?

Only thing I could recommend is getting a “Schedule 80 Reducing Coupler 2” Slip x 1" Slip” and add a “1" Pipe Adapter Spigot x Barb” to use the "White Soft Silicone Tubing”. That is what I am using. Got mine from BRS. 

thanks Chris but reducing my intake to the return pump from a 2" to a 1" would create a lot of reduction in flow, wouldn't it?  the reeflow dart has a 2" inlet and 1 1/2" outlet. 

Hmm, yes it may reduce flow. I see what you are trying to do now, I misread. That is pretty large, you may have to go with like an automotive radiator hose type for that large. Might just have to clean real well first with soap and water and then vinegar bath before install, to remove any oils. That's the best that I got. Not sure how long you need but this is an example:https://www.amazon.com/HPS-HTSC-200-L4-BLK-Silicone-Temperature-Reinforced/dp/B004NYCI2C/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1508259280&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=2%22+silicone+hose 

it that will muffle the noise/vibrations and wont leach anything into the water then it will work, thanks.  I am worried about it with leaching though.

Posted by: rere85 it that will muffle the noise/vibrations and wont leach anything into the water then it will work said:
I would think it would muffle more than hard pvc. Do you have a silicone mat under pump already? Not sure about anything leaching, you could cure it in your toilet tank for a while before install after cleaned to make sure everything is "flushed" out. :p

Posted by: rere85 how is your vibration / noise on your sump/pump integra?  said:
No vibration at all and super quiet.  I have people make comments on how surprised they are about the lake of noise from my setup.  I also use flex coming up from the pumps and have them sitting on wood so that they will be above my flood line if my shower pan fills up to the drain.

I can get you 2" ID silicone tubing, but the bad news is it'll run you $50/foot.My pump is much smaller (1" line I think).  Good rubber isolation helps if you are bringing vibration through the floor rather than the water.   I would think that even non-silicone flexible tubing would help vs. rigid.  I run rigid on all of my returns, but put a 1-2' section of flexible tubing as the last bit to my (smaller than yours) pump.