Side Seam Split

Brazospat

Membership Expired
I have a tank that is atleast 6-8 yrs old, It is 60x24x36 anyway I woke up to it leaking last night toward the top of the tank. I drained the water all the way below the split and the tank still has bracing around the tank so hopefully I am good for a little bit. But what I am needing to know is if the tank is trash or can it be fixed? If it can be fixed who can do it? Also would it just be easier to buy a new tank. Bad thing is I live a little over an hour north of Dallas. Durant, Oklahoma to be exact.

I believe that to repair it properly it would need to be completely disassembled, and have all of the old silicone meticulously cleaned off of the glass before reassembly. There are some that do repairs far short of this, and claim the integrity of those repairs, but I personally would not entertain such proposals. Once silicone has cured, new silicone does not maintain a bond with it. That is why when a new tank is built that a continuous bead of wet silicone is maintained so it will have structural strength. I have, however, applied silicone around the top perimeter of my tank where some small seepage around the rim has occurred. This is only for a temporary fix, and does not have to perform in a structural manner the way that the silicone in a corner seam will.

This is my opinion.

Looking for information. I have ordered a new tank. Should I put new sand in the tank or just use the same sand I currently have in my tank. Also should put the fish in a tank by themselves and let the tank cycle for a little while. I am worrying about a nitrate spike. I think I had one last night because I lost atleast 2 fish if not 3 I still have one unaccounted for. They were breathing really heavy as if they were not getting enough oxygen. Which that could be the case if maybe I didn't have enough flow. The tank has been setup for 2 1/2 - 3 years. Most of the Rock has been in a previous tank so it is about 9 yrs old. I am just trying to save what I can.

Ammonia is good, nitrite barley registering, nitrate is way to high, going to do a water change tonight.