Should I add a Calcium Reactor

dfwflyr

Membership Expired
I am in a big debate here on what to do. I dont really have problems with Cal and Alk, however my test kits conflitct from time to time and I do dose both somewhat often. I have a co worker looking to part with a Calcium reactor that I can get at a decent price. Should I buy one just to have one, or will I see results having somewhat consistant Cal and Alk levels? What do the experts here advise?

How big is the tank? What is your daily alk and ca consumption

Tank is a 120 gallon. Alk is the biggest consumer. After a water change I'm at 11dkh, in three days I'm down to 7-8dkh. Calcium depleted maybe 100ppm over a week. The two used to decline at similar rates and now the all falls faster. I'm more worried of actually causing harm to the tank by complicating things when trying to make it better. The tank is just coming on 4 months running

If you're only losing 1-2 dkH per day I would consider just getting two dosers and dose two-part. I had a CA reactor on my 90g for about 6 months and never could dial it in properly. I switched to two dosers and dosing two part for the past 3 years and its been fairly stable.

1. your dkh is too high in my opinion. keep it closer to 9 dkh. 10 dkh in my opinion is highest

2. you can go either way dosing two part or ca rx. If you go ca rx i suggest getting a aquarium plants reg and a good ph controller this will make dialing in the ca rx very easy. I also suggest feeding a ca rx off a manifold or a variable peristalic or varistaltic pump and remove the micro valve.