Sharp's (masharp1126) 450g Plywood Build

masharp1126

Membership Expired
Well, thought I'd finally get this thing rolling. Let me warn you right up front that I'm a huge procrastinator. But, with that being said, this project has been in the works for over 12 months so far, time to get it done. My goal is to have the tank completed, water in, plumbing & lighting done, and fish room complete by the end of November.

First, I'd like to mention that a lot of my ideas came from a couple of guys on ReefCentral that go by DSANDFORT and Sean : EbN. These 2 build threads were incredible and gave me so much of the information that I needed to do this. I've read so many plywood build threads on the past 1 1/2 years, but they still fascinate me.

Anyway, let's get started.

We moved into our home in November of 2006. The home had a 3-car garage, but somewhat different than most. Instead of 3 spaces side-by-side, there were 2 side-by-side, and one of the spaces was 2 deep. L-shaped. The 2-deep side also shared interior walls with my den, as well as with the laundry room. Making it an ideal space for a new fish room with an in-wall tank. In some of the pictures, to follow, you'll see that I walled in the space, installed (3) 20amp circuits, cut the hole for the tank, started the stand, and installed a tile floor. Still a lot to finish up, but it's getting there.

Before we start with pictures, here's some anticipated specs on the tank and fishroom.

Display - 450 gallons
- 72 x 48 x 30
- Coast-to-Coast External Overflow
- Made by Me (Plywood)
- 70% SPS, 20% LPS, 10% Softies

Fish Room
- 15 ft x 10 ft fish room
- One section of a 3-car garage walled in and converted to a fish room
- 3 (20amp) circuits run to the room for all equipment
- Floor tiled and moisture proofed about 6” up the wall
- Utility cabinet and sink will be added. One wall backs up to laundry room and will tap into the water source and drain. RO unit will hang near the sink and tap into the laundry water source as well. Still thinking on how to best collect and use the waste water.
- Cabinets built next to tank stand to house RO water storage tank, salt water storage tank, frag tank, and quarantine tank. Cabinets will also hold controllers, reactors, and supplies.

Refugium
- 78 Gallons (capacity of 103g)
- 42” x 31” x 18”
- Plywood construction, epoxy sealed.
- This will be located under the tank beside the sump. Overflow from the tank will be split between the
refugium and the sump. Refugium will overflow into sump. DSB and Chaeto in the refugium.
- 2 x 39W T-5 bulbs

Sump
- 52 Gallons (capacity of 103g). Total emergency capacity of almost 78 gallons, which should be
enough in the event of a power failure.
- Plywood construction, sealed with epoxy
- Might or might not contain the Protein Skimmer, depends on which skimmer is chosen.

Frag Tank
- 40 Gallon Breeder tank
- 36” x 18” x 16”
- 2 x 175 watt MH w/ XM10Ks (using these because I currently have them from an older tank)

Salt Water Tank
- 40 Gallon Breeder tank
- Used to create new saltwater for water changes. Was thinking of doing 40g water changes weekly, but with a total system capacity of about 650 gallons, might need to rethink it. If I do feel I need to do larger changes, I might add a 2nd 40g breeder and bump my capacity to 80 gallons.

RO Water Tank
- 40 Gallon Breeder tank
- Used for auto top off, as well as to replenish the Salt Water Tank after water changes.

Quarantine Tank
- 40 Gallon Breeder tank
- Stand-alone system with some type of bio-wheel for filtration.

Skimmer
- Undecided. Possibilities include Trigger Systems TS1000, PM XL-2, ASM G5 or G6,
Octopus FDNW-400, or maybe even DIY (not sure where I’ll find the time)

Ca Control
- Balling method to begin with. Adding Kalk and CA reactors in later stages

Display Return Pump
- Reeflo Dart throught 2 1” Seaswirls

Frag Tank Return Pump
- Fed off of return pump

Media Reactors
– Phoshate Removers, Carbon, etc., fed off of return pump to a manifold

Circulation
– Dart return pump through (2) 1” Sea Swirls, Dart closed loop, and 2 Tunze 6200’s to begin
with. Roughly 15,000 gph for a turnover rate of 34X.

Controllers
– Milwaukee PH controller for CA reactor. Ranco dual stage reactor for heaters and chiller (chiller to
be added later). Eventually add an AC Jr for lighting, pumps, and PH monitoring.

Temperature/Humidity Control
– Heater in the sump will provide heat for the tank, when necessary. The temperature in the fishroom will be maintained by a window A/C unit installed in the wall. Exhaust fan installed and controlled by a de-humidistat. A stand-alone de-humidifier in the fishroom (not sure of the size unit yet).

Here's some pics of the fishroom so far. Keep forgetting to pull out the camera as I go and snap shots, but you should get the idea.

Wall is already framed and rocked. Door still needs to be installed and A/C unit.
2007Pictures061.jpg
alt="">

Another that shows the door that goes into the house. You can kind of see were I pulled the sheet rock off of the wall and left the part to indicate where the tank will be.
2007Pictures062.jpg
alt="">

Here's another that better show from inside the fishroom. Would have liked to have gone about 8ft long with the tank, but only had about 6ft to work with. By centering the 6ft on the den wall it left me just enought clearance to get into the house by the door you see in this picture. You can see 1 of the circuits that I ran below the tank.
2007Pictures063.jpg
alt="">

Here's the rest of the tank wall. 2 other circuits are located to the left of the tank area. This area will house the cabinets that will hold the frag tank, quarantine tank, RO tank, water changing tank, and overall work area. Kicking myself for not adding an outlet above the tank for the lights. Must have had a brain freeze that day. Might not be too late, I'll have to check. Just tear out some sheetrock, and do it over. Might be worth it in the long run.
2007Pictures064.jpg
alt="">

Here's the view from inside the den. The tank will be centered on the wall where the plant is. That's my chair, btw. Will have the perfect spot for viewing the tank and the LCD.
2007Pictures066.jpg
alt="">

Framed out the opening. Wasn't sure if this was a load bearing wall, but went ahead and supported it while I installed a header. Don't freak out too much about the electrical here, we did clean it up a lot before sheetrocking. I ddn't have enough wire to keep it clean in the beginning, but after a trip to the hardware store, we got it cleaned up.
2007Pictures123.jpg
alt="">

I'll have to get some better shots of the fishroom, now that it's further along. Took several at the beginning, then slacked off. The stand is only partially done, don't worry, there will be plentry more vertical supports before I'm done. Wall is sheetrocked, tile is installed everywhere except where I'm going to build the cabinets to the left of the tank. My wife even installed a tropical mural on the wall opposite the tank. Looks great, I'll try to get a pic. It takes up most of the wall.
Picture006.jpg
alt="">

And here's some of the tank being built. Sorry I didn't get many pictures during the cut and assemble phase. This is the front of the tank and along the top you can just make out the angle iron used to strenthen that section. Got the idea from DSANDFORT on his build and thought I'd give it a try. Should eliminate any deflection, but will be ready with another type of brace if needed after it's filled.
2007Pictures289.jpg
alt="">

Here's the coast-to-coast overflow being added.
2007Pictures292.jpg
alt="">

Better shot of the angle iron. Front of the iron already enclosed in the wood overlap.
2007Pictures294.jpg
alt="">

Now, no iron visible or exposed.
450gPlywoodBuild004.jpg
alt="">

Sanding away. You can see that I've now added most of the reinforcement on all corners with overlaps. This shot is of the back and bottom. Even added some decorative sides to the overflow.
Picture004.jpg
alt="">

Last one for now. Shows one end and the trim piece covering the overflow is shown better.
Picture001.jpg
alt="">

Wow what a project. It is looking good. My next house will have one of those tank rooms. Right now I have a living room tank room, a bar tank room, a garage tank room, etc...where ever I can stick stuff to hide it!

Keep us updated!

ALRIGHT MARK! :nod:

You Rock!!!

That looks awesome.

Let me know when you are done and we will see what kind of frags I can give you start filling it up. :lol:

looking forward to seeing more, i love the depth of it, should have some great rock work options. good luck! hope all works well, going to be nice with that fish room and with you taking your time.

Looking good. I had never heard of a plywood tank before seeing this thread. I did some research and it looks like a great idea!

How long does the finish last? Do you have to "repaint" the inside of the tank at some point?

Looks great Mark. A long awaited tank build.

The inside will be epoxied, correct. Are you using the West System epoxies?

Will there be enough room to go around the tank and into the house or will there be another entrance into the house from the garage?

Thanks guys for all the comments.

coralreefer, sounds like time to consolidate into one BIG one.

SALT, Stanley good to hear from you, been a while. Hope all's going well. I will let you know when it's frag time. Been trying to keep some stuff in a 24 gallon nano, but having problems keeping the Cyano in check right now.

Wes, thanks. I definately like the open look with pillars, similar to what Sanjay originally started with. Have about 200# of Marco rock right now, 100# of fiji, and about 200# of tufa. Not sure I'm going to use the tufa though. The Marco is great, five big pieces, might just add about 150# more of that.

Pneumatic, lots of people doing them on Reefcentral, but haven't seen anyone locally trying one. If you want to see more on them, let me know and I can post links to the two threads on RC that I found most helpful. The finish is epoxy and fiberglass. Some say the fiberglass is not needed, some do. I'll use it in places just as a little strength against rock slides. Usually about 6 to 8 coats of clear epoxy, then I'll add at least one coat of epoxy paint. From everything I've read, they'll last 10 to 15 years or more.

chrisrush, yes, epoxy on the inside and outside. I'm actually using Raka brand epoxy for the clear coats. Almost went with West Systems, which is quite popular, but after researching and looking at several online comparisons, I went with Raka. Most everything I saw had it rated just as well, and it was cheaper.

Chris, yeah it looks like a tight fit, but there is actually a 3ft space between the tank and the door. So still room to use that door. However, any furniture moves into the house will definately have to be done through the front.

I wish that door was somewhere else, as it's the one thing that kept me from going 8ft wide instead of 6ft.

Very cool post the links so we can get some back ground on these tanks.

Looks like a lot of work but I enjoy the planning stages and the work that goes into figuring out what works and what does not.

Here's one of them, and probably the one I got the most information from.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1026436&highlight=DSANDFORT

The other one is quite a bit older, so I'll need to keep looking for it.

In case anyone's interested, I've also got a build thread going on Reefcentral. One guy asked about cost for the build and I thought it would be something that some of you here might be interested in as well.

So here's the approximate costs to date. The only thing not listed yet is the silicone for securing the glass into the tank. Not sure exactly how much it'll be, but guessing around $50 or so.

Trim Wood $160.00
Plywood $140.00
Epoxy $280.00
Fiberglass $ 95.00
Glue $ 10.00
Screws $ 18.00
Paint $ 90.00
Angle Iron $ 24.00
Glass $300.00
Silicone
Misc (brushes, rollers, etc) $ 30.00
Total Cost $1,147.00

I do still have some plywood and epoxy left that will be used when I start on the sump and refugium.

That's a great price for a tank that size. I would imagine that a comparable tank in glass or even acrylic would be several times that.

Got quite a bit done this weekend. Shocking!

Got my tile grouted, A/C unit installed above the door, finished epoxying one end of the tank and flipped it to the back, and got all the legs cut for my stand. Here's some pics.

View from the garage looking towards fishroom. A/C unit installed above the entry door. Still need to add some insulation to either side.
Picture015.jpg
alt="">

From inside fishroom.
Picture013.jpg
alt="">

Mural that my wife bought and we put in. Wanted it to give the effect that your looking out a window at the beach.
Picture014.jpg
alt="">

I like it too. :)

Your A/C unit may drip. The sides need to be able to draw in air, and the wood of that platform really needs to be sealed well or have a drip tray in it that can hold any condensation.