shark question

i have a 110 gal aqurium, its a 4ft long tank, have been wanting a shark for a very long time and thinking about getting an egg and growing it out. this tank is a predator tank but only has a damsel, white stripe maroon clown, fuzzy dwarf lionfish, banded moray eel(hides in the rocks all day), yellow head sleeper goby, and a blue eyed kole tang, and a red/white cake urchin. just want to here some comments and suggestions. thanks

A good starting point to if you have a good environment for a shark is http://www.wetwebmedia.com/sharks.htm. They quote, at LEAST three times the length and twice the width of the maximum size of the species you are looking at. With a tank only 4' long (assuming 24" wide), you'd have to find a species that stays under a foot long.

I think beyond the tank size, the damsel and maroon clown would be very likely to pick on the shark. Tang might too, but that's more questionable.

i may be upgrading this tank to a bigger 6ft tank later, not sure, if i dont though, i know i cant keep it in this tank for too long. i will have to sell or donate it when it gets too big.

I have a marble coral cat shark that is under 20" and appears to be done growing in a 220 gallon (6x2x30") he is housed with a wide variety of other fish. He has eaten a couple. My gobie and blennie got eaten. The gobie vanished and I saw him eat the lawnmower blennie. He has not eaten my cleaner shrimp, at least not yet. He tries to eat anything that stops long enough to get caught. I feed him very well with silversides and clam strips soaked in vitamins or selcon. He also scared a filefish into the overflow (which I have still yet to recover , the overflow is spotless now however).

As said they are sharks but mine in a year and a half has only eaten 2 smaller inexpensive fish.

Alright guys I figured I would just piggyback this thread instead of starting a new one. What can I keep with my coral cat shark as far as inverts? Will they hurt themselves on urchins or anemones? Do you think that my girl would eat my foot long yellow margin eel or would he be safe? And what about my queen angel and sailfin tang? This is all assuming my shark survives but im setting up the tank now and need to know who to get rid of to keep my shark safe.

as far as i know the shark will eat the shrimp, it will probably be ok with the nem but if it rubs on the urchin, it could cut itself. the tang and eel should be fine with it but i would worry about the angel, they have been said to nip at the fins of sharks and rays, same as triggers. thats what i know...lol

no, my tank doesnt have a good foot print for one, although, i do have a 6ft long 120 gal that is fw and planted, if something happens there it will be a shark tank...lol.

I thought you were gonna grow one out? Surely you dont need a 180 till they start putting on some size. If you do go for a shark in the future look for a coral cat or a marble cat. They stay a little smaller and are beautiful fish.

i do want to grow one out but dont want to have to sell it when it gets too big. im just not set up for one right now. and those are the sharks i was gonna look at getting. maybe one day i will be set up for one.

I know the feeling about wanting one. The problem I encountered was I bought a SEVERELY neglected adult to put in a 90 but she took up the whole tank so shes staying with a buddy right now till I get her 225 up and running. Youre right man you wont be able to give them up once you get one. They all seem to have their own personality but with that said they are a lot of work to keep them healthy. Good luck in the future. I know youll love it when you do get one.