severely bloated betta after adding water clarifier

corylaura

Premium Member
View attachment 2842my betta has been bloated and somnolent since i added a water clarifier.  all my ghost shrimp turned opaque and died after i used this poison, and now i think my betta is circling the drain.  i've stopped feeding him for two days, and he's still severely bloated.   how do you disimpact a fish or mitigate constipation?  do i need to quarantine him if other fish are fine? i used aqueon water clarifier, which is a synthetic flocculant.  does this stuff act on pre-detritus, like while chyme is still in the fish?  bc i noticed all my fed ghost shrimp died first, and their usually translucent defined bodies became white meaty carcasses.  so i am concerned my betta's gi tract has been impacted by expanding chyme.  please advise~ 

Have you done water changes every day since adding it... You need to do that until the tanks water stabilizes.

@steve thanks for instructions about water change; this was not written on the bottle.  i did a 50% water change today even though the water parameters were wnl (ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5 ppm).  @chris thanks i quarantined him, but he's still very ill appearing and no bm yet.  

It's best to do 10 percent every day for 5 days after you treat... make sure you are adding air to the QT tank... I also add additional air to the main tank when treatment is added to help with off gassing.