Setting up auto WC system... need a 2nd set of eyes, advice and options.

Austinswill

Premium Member
Hey everyone.  I have decided to set up an automatic WC system to do ~2% daily water changes.  The system will only need the reservoirs drained and refilled once per month.Since I have absolutely no way to get to a drain line so I am going with 2 55 gallon tanks that will be in a closet behind the tank... 1 for the new water and 1 for the waste.I will be using the awc auto water changer.  The issue I will have is getting power to the pump that will push the new water to my sump.  The included cord is not long enough.  An extension seems like the best option at face value.  However I got to thinking that perhaps I am not the only one who has their auto water change reservoir remotely located from the tank.   I don't see how anyone can have enough length for power to the pump with the included line only being 6 feet long.  I will need at least double that.That is, unless there is a different way to set up the system.  Perhaps have the pump for the new water suck the water from the new water reservoir?   I don't know if this is possible as it could result in water siphoning  out of the new water reservoir which would be BAD.Anyhow, how have you guys done this with a remotely located reservoir?  Thanks a tonView attachment 9281

Have you checked with AutoAqua to see if they offer an extension or recommend one from someone you can purchase?I would put either a siphon break or check-valve in line on the tubing from the pumps, to be safe.

Posted by: Chris Have you checked with AutoAqua to see if they offer an extension or recommend one from someone you can purchase?I would put either a siphon break or check-valve in line on the tubing from the pumps said:
I just got off the phone with BRS.... Only option they knew of was an extension... the connections are 5.5mm x 2.5 mm.   I was hoping there was another option beside the extension as it may cause an issue with voltage to the pump.  I will have to try it and see I guess.

Posted by: Chris Your welcome said:
Will do... I plan on doing 2 gallons (just less than 2%) per day.   That's about the same as changing 12.5% every week.   My reserve should only need refilling once every 27 days days.  I will also likely start doing triton testing after a month or 2 of the system running.

Hey, I have another question...For this system I need a utility pump.  It will serve 2 purposes.  The first is to pump old water out of the waste tank and into a drain in a nearby bathroom.  The Second is to mix the new water/salt.So the trick is that the tanks I have state that they have 5" lids.  I am assuming that the hole is 5" in diameter, so the pump needs to fit in a 5" hole.  Also, I would very much like the pump to suck the wastewater level down as low as possible. Here is one I found but it is  .1 inches too big    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TW6L947/?coliid=IZI2HBXQYERVN&colid=26R7IS9U6CGSR&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_itbut that should give you an idea of what sort of pump I need.I have been searching and searching and cant seem to find anything... Any ideas?

yea, that could be a nice one... Once I have the tanks and can measure the actual size of the hole Ill get it if it fits.

UPDATE: Installed everything and ops tested.  System should work fine.  My controller is bad so they are sending me a new one. P3 wont send voltage to the NSW pump.Siphon break from the new water tank is installed.  Not required for wastewater.Going to install a mechanical float valve in the sump just in case siphon break fails or pump gets stuck on.Tanks on rollers to allow me to move them.  One for waste and one for New saltwater (NSW)   I have a drain nearby, however I would need a pump with 8 feet of head pressure.  If you know of one let me know.  That would be nice as I could use both tanks for NSW and not have to have any downtime in the system. View attachment 9458

Looks awesome!I think the pump in that link I posted will do up to 10 foot head so should work if it fits.You'll have to give us a review after you get the new controller and have it running for a few weeks. :)