Setting up 110 das tank and had a few questison

[I've had a 20H Nano for about 2 years now and have really become comfortable with my maintainance routine and the hobby in general. I've now come upon a 110 Gallon DAS tank that this lady is basically giving me for some work i've done for her. So now I'm looking to start my first larger reef tank and have a few questions.

Let me first appoligize for such a general post. I'm just trying to hammer down my setup.

1. Lighting - My goal is to start with mainly LPS and softies, but would like to get into SPS later. Everything I've read is that MH is the best for the amount and quality of light, but the heat is a concern of mine. The tank has a custom hood that I would prefer to leave on the tank and MH may produce too much heat to be under a hood.
Power Compact and VHO I know is a great light source, but can be as rather pricey up into the 400-500watt range i'm looking for.
? Go with a combo of both VHO/PC and MH or just go with 2 250W MHs.

2. With my Nano, which is also a DAS tank, I used the little compartment inside the tank as a little refugium with some calipera. This seems to work well and I have read that refugiums and DSB is the way to go for large Reef setups.
? Is this correct

3. I have a CPR Bak Pak R on my Nano now and I love it.
? what would be a good skimmer for a 110?
CPR bak-pak double?
Aqua - C Remora?
The 110 DAS had a skimmer inside of it. Are these worth a crap?

I appreciate any comments or suggestions and look forward to joining the club. Thanks for your help.

P.S. I'm also looking to buy everything, Live Rock, Lights, Skimmer, refugium. Anyone have any used equipment I'd be happy to take it off your hands. :D]

[@ms71171 wrote:
1. Lighting - My goal is to start with mainly LPS and softies said:
Maybe three or four VHO's now on an icecap 430 and then three MH bulbs later? Two MH bulbs probably aren't gonna be enough for that size tank. In fact, if your 110 is deeper that 24" to the sand and you want SPS, you might want to consider 400's, but you will need to install small fans to blow the heat out of the hood.

2. With my Nano said:
I have a 300 & use the overflows as refugiums. It has had SPS in it for about 10 months and has been beautiful. I am having pretty bad bubble algea problems now with it, and I am planning on adding a seperate refugium down below, a skimmer in the sump, and maybe using the overflows for mangroves instead. I've always planned this stuff, but the tank just did so well just with that small bit of refugium growth that I figured I better not mess with it untii I have to.

3. I have a CPR Bak Pak R on my Nano now and I love it. ? what would be a good skimmer for a 110? CPR bak-pak double? Aqua - C Remora? The 110 DAS had a skimmer inside of it. Are these worth a crap? said:
A CPR or Aqua-C might be a little light for a tank that size. I've never heard anything about the DAS, but I'd give it a try if I were you. Outside of that, the best skimmers right now are probably Euroreef and ETS.
]

[I suggest you start pouring through all the For Sale items listed here, there is a lot of equipment available.

Not even a Remora Pro would work for 110, imho. I'm using an Aqua C Ev-200 on my 55g, because I really believe that overskimming is the way to go. (You've been doing the same, using a CPR Bakpak that is rated for a 55g on your 20g) So look for one of the larger EV series, or EuroReef. Used is cheaper than new, of course. And skimping on this one item can be a real nightmare over time.

How tall is the hood? If you have at least 10" off the water, you can use MH, but you'll need to use fans to cool the tank, or a chiller perhaps. Running a sump works wonders, PLUS you can put a fan over the water down there to help with temperature issues.

Both of my tanks use refugiums, one with a DSB and one with CC (crushed coral substrate). Both work wonders, and I think they are a great addition to a reef. I won't run one without one. :p

Go to my site for pictures and ideas.]

[Yah, major gripe about the DAS tanks is the #### hood. They make it near impossible to put MH in there. With a 110 gal, because of the dimensions of the tank, it would be much better with MH. Also, as far as the skimmer goes, I completely agree with Marc. The Remora Pro is a great skimmer, but its just simply not enough for that size tank, especially if you carry a heavy bioload. I would think a Euroreef CS6-1 or 2 would work very well, depending on how much fish/coral you want to keep. If its a lot, go with the 2, etc. I also agree with Marc on using a refugium. Its basically a natural protein skimmer, and will help reduce nitrate levels naturally. Just my quick thoughts.

Bill]

[Thank you for all the replies.

I like the Euroreef skimmer and from what I've read this is definetly the way to go. Unfortunately, its pretty expensive. Hopefully I can find a used one. I think I'll use my first 400 on some lights.

I still have to go pick up the tank this weekend and will measure the distance from the water that a MH could be placed. The tank is rather tall so I think MH will be the way to go. I also love the look of the "shimmering effect"

Also, did you guys make your own Refugium or did you buy one built? If I made one, what would be a good size tank to use? I have a 30 gallon now that could be made into one.

I'll also search for refugium to see any other posts about this.]

[Go to my site to see tons of sumps and refugiums. :) I've been making them for the past year, out of acrylic.]

@Marc wrote:
[Go to my site to see tons of sumps and refugiums. :) I've been making them for the past year said:
[I love your plans, very detailed and specific with alot of pics.

I was wondering, You dont seem to say anything about any kind of mechanical filter media. I know you could add some to your design, but Its probably better without. Right?

I was just wondering because many DIY plans have space for foam and carbon.]

[Yes, many do add them, and I pretty much feel it is a sales device.

If you ask any of the members that came to my house for the April meeting, they'll assure you my water was absolutely crystal clear (my son overheard that being stated several times that night, he told me later), and I don't use any type of mechanical filtration. Just water movement, LR, substrate, and a good quality Protein Skimmer.

So ime, and imho, it is unnecessary. There are times when you need to trap free floating particulates, like during a massive cleaning, but more often than not, your corals, fish, and inverts all benefit from that temporary disruption, and they snack upon it as it clears up.]