seafood mix

I live in Odessa and fresh uncooked seafood is hard to find.

If I was to use a frozen seafood mix that was cooked prior to freezing, will that work for my fish?

How cooked? Usually cooked is a no-no. You could always get some fresh seafood from the deli, and freeze it yourself.

The only uncooked seafood I can seam to find here in Odessa is Shrimp.

If someone else in Odessa knows of a spot please let me know.

I think the cooked mix was boiled before frozen.

Blanched is better than boiled. Some packages have a phone number or email address you can use to contact the mfg to get the specifics.

The food that our fish and corals eat in the natural reef isn't cooked. So we try to avoid foods that are unlike what they'd normally get. This is the same reason we don't feed beef to our livestock, because cows can't swim. :lol:

Cooking food does remove some minerals or something, I'm sure. I read a lot, but don't memorize what I read. So someone else with more knowledge can chime in on that.

Asian markets are full of cheap seafoods. Squids are great because I saw on Discovery channel that squids usually mate once a year (or so) and they die (or the males die, don't remember) so the ocean floors are full of dead squid, food for all the other fishes

I tried oysters, my fishes hate them.

nori is also good, and cheap at Asian markets.

Marc has a website on the types of seafoods to use.

I googled Asian Markets in odessa, this is what I found:
http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-17,GGLD:en&q=asian+market&near=Odessa,+TX&sa=X&oi=localr

it says there's a Pilipinas Asian Market, but not sure if it sells seafood...

or if there are places there that sells baits... raw squid? (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLD%2CGGLD%3A2005-17%2CGGLD%3Aen&q=odessa+bait)

and try amazon, i saw a few types of seafood there.

Last possibility, ask someone you trust to make some seafood and ship it to you...

I just made five to six weeks worth of food tonight. Took me about 30 minutes, using the seafood mix, some cyclop-eeze, a sheet of nori, some Golden Pearls, Spirulina Powder, large shrimp, smelt, Formula 1 & 2 pellet food, Rotirich and phytoplankton.

For anyone else, it would last 3 months easily. :lol: