Sea Hare! What a great animal.

Tinyfish

Membership Expired
I have added a sea hare to my 30L. It has been a resident now for a month and has done wonders for the look of the tank. It has cleaned all of the sand and keeps the rocks from being too hairy. I know they are not much to look at but they do a great job.

I love those things. Try to find it a new home when your tank is nearly clean so it won't starve to death. We've had them bounce from tank to tank in the past, cleaning up a bunch of algae overgrown reefs.

True, you need a good supply of hair algae for the guys, I think you need a hairy 100 gallon to keep a single one from starving, and thats with constant growth.

FYI they will eat Nori Seaweed if you get to the point there is no food in your tank until you can get them a new home.

Nick

I have been out of town and had a friend care for my tank. It now has green algae if your sea hare needs some food or if somebody knows of one that needs a place to stay for alittle while could use the help. Thanks.

Darn me! I did not know how clean the tank would get and the poor sea hare ran out of algae to eat while I was away. I feel horrible that I am such a poor steward especially after the previous warnings.

For others, if your tank looks pretty good it is time to move the sea hare!

I agree...great cleaner. I've had one for maybe a month or so. It's done a good job of cleaning the algae.

I have a large tank, so I hope there's enough to keep him bust. I may just feed some algae from time to time to keep him in good shape. I know I wouldn't just like a diet of hair algae and other crud growing around the tank.

The one I bought didn't last 4 days. Started out great, but then something popped out of it's face, like an earthworm (i think it may have been part of it's digestive tract, rather than a parasite). Very odd. Wish it stuck around longer. It was huge though. Hopefully I can find a dmaller one someday...

so how big of a tank do you need to permanently house one. I am getting a 265 setup with 3 250w halides in a tank that big would it have a nonstop supply of food. But i plan on having a 58g fuge also.

I have a kinda large one in my 300. So far, it's still looking healthy and fat. I'm thinking about letting him go wild on a sheet of sea weed every once in a while.

He really took care of the spots of hair algae I had. My tank is much cleaner now.

Kind of like you get your own personal Nessie.

I avoid letting it eat all the algae in a tank.

Alternating it between 3 tanks I've been able to keep this one a while.

That's the same kind I have. It just rotateh cruises around the tank munching on stuff. It's constant munching and blunt nose reminds me of a cow mowing grass.

Unfortunately, I don't have three tanks to cycle it through. I may have to .rotate him through someone else's tank...or keep buying live rocks full of hair algae to supplement his diet.