Sandsifting SeaStar Question

BlennyLover

Membership Expired
I am just wondering WHAT my sea star is doing as I've never seen the behavior before. He usually spends the majority of his days just under the sand ... coming up periodically and combing back and forth early morning and most of the night. Today he was in an odd position ... on top of sand. It looked as if he was hugging a large marble, except nothing was under him. When I wasn't watching ... he'd moved a few inches and was flat ... later same thing.

Any idea why he is doing this ... ?

Never had a sick sea star so I don't know what is happening.

Please and thanks in advance!

Sounds like it maybe trying to mate. I know when they go up like that, that is when they are mating with other stars. But with only one in the tank Ive never heard of that before.

Sent from inside the shark tank!

Thank you ... Yes, I guess that is another way I could see it ... he is the only one and he is HUNCHED! ... as if on top of something.

He's moved to the front where the black and white clown has a little den under an overhang rock with a BTA on the side -- the clown fish is pissed. Keeps batting the star with its tail fin, but the star laid flat for a bit and is now back in the strange position.

In about 2 hours he should be gliding across the sand. Not sure that is going to happen as the entire day was not normal routine for him.

I hope there is nothing to worry about as I don't have a clue how to fix it or what could be wrong.

Whats all your parameters at? Maybe one is out of whack and star fish is thinking mate before death.

Sent from inside the shark tank!