Rose bta - shrivels every night - Fine during the day?

[Hello
I've had a rose BTA for about a week. The first few days it did really well, moved around a lot, and finally settled on a spot under the edge of a rock right in the front of my tank :D

The last 3 days it's been strange. ??? During the day it seems to be fine. Around 8:00 PM it looks like it must dispel the water out of its arms/tentacles/polyps and shrivels up. At first, I freaked :shocked: and thought my maroon clown was hosting a little too agressively and tried to move the BTA to a specimen container, but he wouldn't detach his foot from the rockwork. I finally gave up, but the next morning he looked fine. This process has continued each of the last 2 nights.

I'm not sure if I need to be concerned? When he shrivels, his mouth gets large, and he looks majorly stressed. However, the next day he tends to look fine again. Maybe not as good as the first couple of days in the tank, but much better than the night before.

I read many of the rose BTA articles in this forum before purchasing my BTA, but not sure if this is a normal behavior.

Looking for advice from those experienced in keeping rose BTAs....]

[I'm no expert but I have seen mine shrivel up to next to nothing only to come back bigger than before. As long as it stays attached to the rock, it should be ok.]

[It is probably just trying to poop! (Can I say that?) Have you fed it. If not try feeding a small meaty pieces every few days!

As long as it looks OK during the day I wouldn't worry to much. Keep us posted though!

It is normal for them to shrink when the ligts go out as they are photosynthetic but the shrivel word is a little scary. Maybe just normal.]

Edited By kwl1763 on 1111764297

[I have had my rose anemone for 5 months now. He shrinks down erevy night as soon as the MH lights go down. The clowns still hang out in him at night even though he is sort of closed up. When the lights come back on in the morning he opens up. I think that may just be normal behavior.]

[Thanks everyone!

I guess what concerns me is he does this before the lights go out. Most everything shrinks some once the lights out (exception- SUN polyps), but the rose BTA kind of shrivels up around 8:30-9:00 and the actinics don't go off for another couple of hours.

Kitty- When I say shrivels up= it looks like he dispels all of the water out of his tentacles and pulls himself back together into a tight bunch... ? ???

I am feeding about a 1/3 of a cube of mysis shrimp daily and 1/3 a silverside every 3rd day. Lots of 3s.. :lol:

Thanks Again, I'll post updates if anything changes.]

@4HIM wrote:
[Kitty- When I say shrivels up= it looks like he dispels all of the water out of his tentacles and pulls himself back together into a tight bunch... ? ???] said:
[Saw my name and just had to reply! (You must have meant Kristi?)

I had an anemone that did that, too - it may be just trying to adjust to your water, type of salt, flow - and even how long the lights are on may be different than what is was "used to". If the store you got it from had the lights on for a shorter period of time, it may be adjusted to that time.

Don't worry - yet - unless it stops coming out during the day.]

[Ha! :lol:
That's funny...
I'm not sure why I typed Kitty. Thanks for the response though. I've talked to a couple of people and I think I my have just been overfeeding the poor guy and causing him some GI problems :blush:

I'm not going to directly feed him every day. I'm going to make sure he gets fed every 2-3 days, but see if the clown that's hosting him will bring him food at the other times.

Thanks again everyone!!]