Rookie mistake?

I purchased a GBTA from a LFS and it wasn’t doing well. I was told he had just been upset earlier in the day.long story... he only lived for a week. I should of known better and not made the purchase.If anyone has one that ends up splitting in the future, keep me in mind.I think I’ll wait to buy one from a member here.This way I can know it’s background. Lesson here never make a purchase unless you can “see” the health in a “critter”.Thanks all!

Please don't mention an LFS if it is a sponsor. But, if it isn't a sponsor, could you tell us who you purchased it from or at least where you are located so we can guess?How old is your tank (what's it's maturity)? 6 months is often a number used to suggest adding anemones and SPS. (Mine was up for a month when I added SPS and they are growing well). It might have been moved recently - tiny shock - followed by bagging and transplanting - major shock and just not come out of shock. Did you climitize it properly or quarantine it?

The tank has been going for 11 months. I drip aclamated it for a couple hrs.The LFS is a sponsor and not looking to slander anyone.However there were a couple GBTA in their tank and all looked shrunken and laying over. I questioned this and was told they had just moved a lot of coral around. Given all the RBTA looked great...My first trip to that LFS and took his word on it. But the NEM never acted normal.I’ve had quite a few over the last 20yrs. I think this was a case of the owner not really deceiving me but not knowing.He had just got in a shipment and I think these NEMs were on it. He assumed they would be fine but had probably never seen them fully “happy”... When I returned the next week he hadn’t sold a single RBTA but all the GBTAs were gone.He might of taken a hit too_On the Anemone bad or good fourm I posted a picture on day one. Because the anemone just didn’t look right? Was even confused if it was a GBTA since it didn’t look like the ones I had before. In the end I feel it was just not in good health. Lots of assumptions here! Haha 

Some creatures look good, others don't, and I agree with everything in the OP, including not naming the OP as it sounds like nothing inappropriate happened.  The LFS generally has faith in their suppliers, but obviously it doesn't always work out. That said, I'm not sure I agree with using sponsorship as the grounds to mention or not mention the name.  Either mention it (trading the risk of good information for the risk of slander), but I don't feel like using "they don't pay us" as the justification for saying something about a store is appropriate.  If anything I would expect a sponsor that we recommend to hold a higher standard.

There was a problem on the old forums with people posting negative comments in the sponsors forum and your sentiment was often echoed by the membership. However sponsors said; why am I paying for something I can be criticized on - which is equally valid.

I personally will pass up a purchase if it isn't in the best of health. In the past, I have made purchases thinking I could nurse it back to health. More often than not, it will cost you twice as much to do that as it's worth, and most of the time you still lose the critterJust because a sponsor pays on this site doesn't give them the power to do stupid things without cosequences. If a sponsor wants to have nothing but good ratings here, they need to do nothing but good things.