Robby's 180 SPS Build

I've been quite for the last 6 months on here since my 58 gallon build, but now I decided to start one for my custom 180 gallon tank that I had Rodney Hicks(my exotic fish) and his builder put together me. I had planned on upgrading once we moved again and that time is about to come! The tank will be all glass 72x24x24 with euro bracing, double overflow, and an oak trim. My stand will be custom stained to match my living room furniture that I matched up at Home Depot. I brought Rodney the stain on Sunday and he was happy to have them do it. The sump is going to be an all glass 44x18x16 three chambered sump with the return in the middle, refugium on the left, and the skimmer, chiller/refugium pump on the right. I ordered a Vertex Alpha 200 skimmer from Premium Aquatics and will be splitting a mag 18 to run the 1/2 coral life chiller I bought from Dallas North and my refugium. I will be using a mag24 with flow accelerators to keep high turnover and flow to aid my 4 Vortech mp40s. My lighting will be ran off 3 250w HQI Icecap Pendants running phoenix 14k's and 2 48" ATI Blue Plus bulbs. To mount these I bought some 1/8 inch thick, 3/4" wide steel angle from home depot and custom welded a light rack inspired by a previous aluminum angle rack a drilled and bolted together. The caveat to the bolts is that they will rust over time and can also be more flimsy. This rack will allow me to slide my canopy over it and hide the lights. I will attach pictures once I grab my rack from the office.

Here are some snapshots of the tank, stand, and sump. Obviously they're not finished yet, but it's still looking promising. The back of the 180 and the sump will be blacked out as well.

I also forgot to mention that the tank will have a PVC bottom as well. I plan to run everything on an Apex controller as well as my Vortech's programming. The thought of controlling everything from my computer sounds exciting to me.

My game plan so far for the move is to move all my fish and acros into my 58 gallon until it's completely set up. I've been fragging all of my coral and selling it off to allow me enough space to fit everything from a 140 to a 58. I've been unable to resist the urge to buy certain corals however. Such as the Tierre de Fuego and the Joe's Rainbow Acro that are both very nice yet hard to obtain pieces.

I'll take the Joe's rainbow too. ;-) Too bad that would triple my cost.

Following the build. Keep us updated... looks great. I love eurobraced tanks, mine will be!

Just got my Alpha 200 skimmer and Joe's Rainbow acro in today!!! This weekend feels like Christmas with all my stuff coming in.

Thanks man, I have been planning for this setup for a long time. My big issue right now is getting all my plumbing ready for tomorrow and picking up some trashcans to drain my 140. I need to make this transition as fast as possible so i can stack my live rock. That usually takes me about 6 hours to get it how i want it.

Thanks! I just brought my light rack home from the office. I welded it together with 1/8" steel angle from home depot and sprayed it black to prevent it from rusting. I measured it to fit my icecap pendants.

Your 140 looks great so I imagine this one will look even better. I was hoping to get some free time this weekend and give you a hand with the move, but work came up... I am starting to think it doesn't like my hobby.

Mitch

I appreciate the thought! How's that piece I saved for you doing?

I just finished cutting down my corals and fragged all the pieces going into my 180. I've got 25 total acro frags and several other various kinds I'm probably going to just grow out depending on their requirements. My back is already killing me just from this and I'm kind of worried since my fusion didn't go so well.

Anyway here are some pics of the corals I'm banking and what I'm growing in the display.

@Robby2782 wrote:
I appreciate the thought! How's that piece I saved for you doing? said:
It looks great. I think I have noticed some growth, but hasn't start encrusting yet. I am going to have to find a place for the tri-color fast as it has already engulfed the plug!

Mitch

That's great! This move has been horrible but the tank is extremely well built. I've been up for 2 days moving and rebuilding 2 separate systems. The 180 is going to be nice but I'm having issues with the pluming since I forgot to Teflon the threads. I here's where I'm at now.

I've just about finished the plumbing and just got my pellets and reactor back online. I've got the plumbed my main pumps. I'm getting ready to hook up the lights and set up my vortechs. I may wait until the weekend to set the rock.

So it's been a day or two since updating and a lot has happened. I set up my reservoir for both tanks behind the chiller, mounted all Apex modules and vortech controls, set the float switch, and got my calcium reactor up and going. The problem I'm having is the Apex is impossible for me to figure out! It took me 15 minutes to program my Reef Keeper controller but this one is completely different. Hopefully Pampee can help me understand tomorrow.