RO/DI waste water

mossjer

Membership Expired
Looking at setting up my RO/mixing station and was wondering what the waste water output pressure or volume is like. We have a nice little greenhouse and several raised beds that my daughter has started planting in and I would like to save this water for her use. If I had say 40-50' of hose running to a barrel in the back of the house would there be enough pressure to get it there? I've never actually seen an RO/DI unit running to know if it would work for our purpose. We also have soaker hoses on some fruit trees on that side of the house that use the same hose as the RO units. I could even plumb that in if it would work. Any input is greatly appreciated. 

In most cases there is very little pressure on the waste water line.  You might be able to get it to trickle down the hose if your RODI is placed high enough.  I believe the rule of thumb is a fall of 1 inch for every 10 feet of line.   As for volume, it will vary based on your unit and what kind/how many membranes you have installed.

I bought a 1/4" drip line from Lowes for $8 and strung it through my wife's garden about 30' away.  1/4" solid line for $8 and a $4 coupling.  It works fine.  You will also need an end cap for the drip line.  She will need additional water for the garden, but why waste this water?

I run 40 feet of line from the garage to the swimming pool and I have no issues with flow. I have to replace the line every few years as it becomes brittle under the sun.

Thanks guys, I figured it would work I just didn't want to buy a bunch of line and then it be useless.

I use a 50 gallon to 100 gallon drum and let the waste water drain into it....I use a lawn valve for watering my garden and topping off my pond outside. I have a pump on it that runs on solar power and so does the valve...it uses a raspberry pi to make it all happen with little interaction on my part, except to tell it when to start the new season and to stop when everything is dead for winter.