Rimless VS 144 half round

powerslayer

Membership Expired
Hi Everyone,I currently have a 144 half round Oceanic tank with a 55 gallon sump. The tank has about 150-200 LBs rock, fine sand bed. The dimensions are basically a 30" semi-circle and about 28" high. I use auto dosing, Vertex 130 skimmer, 2 returns (need to cut it down to 1). Flow in tank is 2 RW-15s on wave mode.Stock : Regal tang, Yellow eye kole (survived a near death experience), 2 snowflake clowns and a rainbow nem, 1 pyjama cardinal and a mated pair of firefish, cleaner and peppermint shrimp and a bunch of snails and hermits.I have been looking at a rimless tank. Seen a few where we liked the tank but did not like the stand and vice versa. We are looking for a tank with a contemporary stand. I have talked to our doctors office in the past and they have a rimless and they are looking to sell. It does not have an ideal stand (very traditional ornate stand) but for the price they mentioned last time it will be a good bargain. I can build the stand myself and make it to my wife's liking.Before I talk to them about buying the tank and move I need your advise/experience with the following. The tank dimensions are 48*24*24Any known issues with rimless? I can think of the following-- Chipping the glass edges during maintenance.-- Have to be careful using heavy mounts/LEDs.-- carpet surfing. A firefish has tried once during tank maintenance and I quickly put one back into the tank. He/She managed to get in between the small openings.-- since I have 2 tangs and they love to swim from one end to the around around the semi circle they get about 7-8 feet of swimming lanes. Will 48" be too short for 2 tangs.Any advise from current rimless tank keepers  and experts will truly help us make the decision. 

Thanks guys for the responses. I went ahead and bought the rimless. Now the hard part of moving everything over. And worst part is the new tank is going where the old one is. 

Silly me, just realized this is a month old thread, not sure how I missed it the first time around.  Sounds like an exciting move day yet to come.  Watch your water temperature for the corals.  I prefer to leave rock moist and covered rather than submerged without circulation if it is going to be out for a long time and assuming there is no coral encrusted on it (in which case submerged, but with circulation).