return hobby - 65 rimless peninsula tank build

Hi All,

After changing between big and small tanks then in and out the hobby, I am coming back with this new peninsula rimless tank. I am going to build one thing at a time as following orders; the stand, sump, LEDs lights, and others while waiting for the tank arrived. This is a tank from glasscages and they will have it delivered the end of April. So, here we go.

1) Stand build: the goal is light and strong without using 2x4 conventional way. The dimension of the stand will be 48x18x32. This dimension will fit 65,75,and 90 gal footprint tanks. All I need is a 4'x8' good plywood and some moldings. I got the home depot people cut the 4'x8' plywood into 3 equal pieces of 48"x32" sections. This way, I can fit all pieces into my compact car. Two of 48"x32" pieces will be used as the front and back panels. The other 48"x32" piece will be used as the side panels (16"x32"). With the front, back, and molding attached on, it will be very close to 18" width. To take care of some pressure concerns, I am going to cut rectangular panels out of the front and back panels. Since I need two doors for the stand, I will cut a smaller rectangular piece from the front and larger rectangular piece from the back. The cut out piece from the back will be used for two doors. the cut out piece from the front will be used for support bars. Everything will be glued and screwed together into a final product.

I need the picture frame configuration to keep the weight low and still be strong. Chalk lines snapped down for cut out pieces. The front cut-out will be smaller than the back. This way, i can use the back pieces for two front doors.

2) Sump build: the goal is using ATS and skimmer (in a future) in one sump. Also, I want a longer path for water to travel. Originally, I plan to have a separate rimless tank (36x12x8) for marine plants and pipefish; which will split the return pump into two display tanks. Unfortunately, I didn't have the space that I need for the time been. For now, I am using a 36x12x16 tank for the sump. The drain water from the main tank will go through ATS section. Then water will go through skimmer, bubble baffles, and then return sections. I don't plan to have a cheato in sump since I am going to use the marine plants as a part of display tank stockings. However, I can still can have some if I wanted to in a future.

3) LEDs build: originally, I plan to use 60 of 3w Cree LEDS because I already had 60 optics but when I saw the build thread about multichip LEDs on reefcentral's forum, I change my plan. I am going to use 10w LEDs instead. I bought 6 of them and a mean well eln-60-48p driver. Since my driver can only handle up to 4-5 10w LEDs max in series, I will try 5 bulbs first. If this is not bright enough then I can add either some more 3w or 10w or 20w bulbs depending on the color look when the new tank arrived. I kinda like the bluish look. I bought a 48" coralife fixture with legs for this project so it can sit directly on top of my rimless display tank.

the light actually is brighter than in the pics. I am so far happy with the look. We'll see how it goes on the tank before making any adjustment

4) diy skimmer: I got a small skimmer and its pump broke. so i decide to make one. I am very happy with the result. It runs for about 30-45 minutes and foaming like crazy and very small amount of bubbles pumping out from the pipe-line.

after over night epoxy the cup onto the skimmer cap, it's ready to test out. One thing i like about this skimmer is that when it comes to cleanup, all i have to do is unscrew the cap...etc.

I hope you get some benefit from my builds. if you have any question, feel free to pm or leave comments here. I got the ATS build as well but it so simple to build. therefore, i didn't bother to post pictures here. I guess now is WAITING time for the tank arrived; which is taking forever :). I am so exciting about everythig and can't wait to have it up and running. Thanks for checking out. I'll post update infor and pics later on.

Sorry for a long delay... Everything is stablizing now. I got a few SPS in there and they are doing fine so far. I recently add the ATS (less than a week) with 4 LEDS bulbs. It's building up very very fast. Anyway, here are a few pics.