Resurrecting my 180g

tesfeld

Premium Member
It's been quite awhile since I've been around. Hopefully some of you remember me [smilie=smile.gif]

I think my 180 crashed at the beginning of 2007, and the thread on the topic is gone, so I'll recreate the situation as best I can remember and post pics in the next couple of days.

My tank was up and doing wonderfully when the pump feeding my skimmer exposed its core to the water column. This caused my red flatworm population to die off and release their toxin which was the beginning of a chain reaction that took out all sps, lps, clams, and most of my softies. My house smelled like dead ocean for two weeks. I tried restocking a couple months later, but it was too early and everything I added died. I never seriously tried to revitalize the tank because I had started my own business, had a son, and no money or time for it. Of course, my toadstools, xenia, palythoa, mejanos and mushrooms survived in this nutrient rich condition and spread until they had taken over the entire tank like the plague. I gave them to my favorite local coral farm and was left with FOWLR for the last couple of months before the breakdown. I took it down in June of this year in order to stage our house to sell. All fish went to my favorite LFS to hold onto for me. In the process, my male clown (part of an 11-12 yr old pair), potters angel, and orchid dottyback died. The tank went on a dolly in storage, the LR was allowed to dry out in tubs in order to kill all of my softies and pests that remained, and the sand is in buckets, semi-dry. All of it needs to be cleaned prior to reassembly.

We moved into our new house a month ago and I'm just now starting to consider setting it back up. I'm shopping for a chiller because I don't want the humidity that we lived with in the old house. I'll try to enclose the top a bit to avoid having 12 sq ft of evaporative area. I'm also going to replace the pump on my custom TriggerSys skimmer with a Bubble Blaster and not use it as a recirculating system.

Has anyone used diluted muriatic acid to clean equipment?

Has anyone tried a setup where the chiller was outside? (protected)

Stay tuned!

I would do 15:1 water to acid ratio. I will try to find a YouTube video of a guy in Austin but his chiller is outside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

here is the video of a reefer in austin where all his eqpt is outside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMbZgJuxKAE

Welcome back! [smilie=hi.gif]

IMO, vinegar would be fine for cleaning equipment. Then to get the rock clean I recommend HCL (which is basically pre-muratic acid). It's what I used to clean my rock.

Here's my build thread (Page 2 is the rock):
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=74893

Thanks Wes, that is part of my build log. I was trying to find my tank crash thread but I believe it's not here.
David, I'll have to come see your setup again sometime for inspiration
Nice setup Bill! I'd like to see it.

I'll probably decide against going through the brick of the house and just deal with whatever heat the chiller adds to the house. I haven't tried to get approval to put it on the front porch.
I'm debating a better leak containment system under it since it'll be sitting on much nicer wood floors, but that would delay the entire setup and require some acrylic gluing skills. I never had a problem with the old one, but it may have been luck.

I know that David (the UPS guy) and Rick both had split chillers where the motor & compressor was outside and the chiller coil was inside near the tank.

Welcome back, buddy!

Muriatic acid and water is what I use as well. Not a big deal as long as you have a place to pour that out when done.

When you done with muriatic/water mixture just add baking soda when it stops bubbling you can throw it down the drain as the acid will be neutralized

if you want another opinion on running the chiller split between outside and inside, go to
http://reefvideos.com/
and look at the bottom for "carls 300g reef" it will explain how he did his. (its a cool idea, and very do-able. )

A LONG time ago I bought a used chiller that was in need of a minor overhaul from Mitch. I never messed with it until today and I think I'm in luck. It turns out that it's a 1/4 HP, which is what I need. It is also cooling very nicely. Only a couple of problems. One, where the refrigerant line goes into the pvc coil shroud it is leaking a little. Silicone has been applied to the other one, so I'm hoping that a similar application will fix it. Second, the base is rusted like crazy and it has no cover. That part I think I can solve pretty easily in a day. The best part is that now I can take the money I was going to spend on the chiller and put it toward the Bubble Blaster I need to update the skimmer.

The tank was setup for 6 years at my last house. My leak control was simply a sheet of tileboard from home depot under the stand. I siliconed where the stand met the board. It caught every minor leak and I was shocked to find the laminate wood under the tank to be good as new at the end of the breakdown. I can't decide between just doing the same thing again, or setting the steel stand on a sheet of acrylic and gluing acrylic 6-8" up the sides to create more of a waterproof tub. The real wood floor in the new house needs all the protection it can get, but I'm not sure if it's overkill, or I'm just lucky, or...

Anyone else do anything to catch leaks other than the carpet?

i have a steel stand with acrlic drip pan it has 4" sides i also put a leakfrog in there so if it start to fill up it will sound an alarm

Any thoughts on whether a Nano Wavebox would work on my tank since it is only 4' long even though it is 180g? What happens if it is undersized?

I have a 48" x 30" x 24" tank I am able to get a nice size wave how thick is your glass. Nano Wave box only goes up to .5"

If I had to buy it over again I would buy a full size as up top I get 1" wave but way on the bottom first seem to get a good undertow as when I had a big wave box on my big tank