Ren's 40 gal build

@washingtond wrote:
What is your overall time frame to start cycling the tank? Also are you planning on putting a lining at the bottom of your stand to catch any water that will spill or leak? said:
I have thought about putting in some sort of pond liner at some point in the stand. I will be taking some caulk all the way around the bottom of the stand to make sure there are no holes from the skin to the base in the event of a water leak. Once that is dried, then I plan on doing some coats of Kilz x 2. I may not be able to do the pond liner right away, but it is something that is planned for sure. Aside from pond liner, what else is a good viable option?

@CaravanShaka wrote:
Agree on the light color said:
Yes, I agree. As a result, I will be going with a charcoal gray (a tad bit darker), but enough to put some character to the stand vs. all one solid color. The lighter of the two colors will go on the trim.

On the flip side of things, I have made my decision on lights!

I am going to go with the Maxspect R420r LED fixture 27" 16000 160w fixture.

40539de862.jpg
alt="">

@Renmar wrote:
[I]@washingtond wrote:[/I][quote="What is your overall time frame to start cycling the tank? Also are you planning on putting a lining at the bottom of your stand to catch any water that will spill or leak? said:
I have thought about putting in some sort of pond liner at some point in the stand. I will be taking some caulk all the way around the bottom of the stand to make sure there are no holes from the skin to the base in the event of a water leak. Once that is dried, then I plan on doing some coats of Kilz x 2. I may not be able to do the pond liner right away, but it is something that is planned for sure. Aside from pond liner, what else is a good viable option?
"]

A water protecting stain or paint inside the stand should work.

It has been a very long 24 hours to say the least. I haven't gotten much sleep, but that's alright! I can get sleep later. I was advised that the stand was ready to go! I made the arrangements and drove down to the DFW metroplex to get my wonderful stand. I knew that it would be sturdy, but my GOD that thing is heavy! Let's just say I a few curse words could have came out as we were lifting this thing up and out. After we got it into the house and the kid to bed, it was time to get some stuff done. I threw up some wood filler in all the spots that needed then made sure it was nice and smooth. I then put silicone in all areas of the stand where the frame met the base and etc. This includes the top of the stand where the tank is going to sit and underneath. I wanted to make sure that I have taken every possible measure to ensure that we do not have spillage onto the floor! Up went the tape on where I was going to paint the trim a different color than the base of the stand. Gotta make it nice and pretty, don'tcha know? Got some painting done, not all of it. Still have to finish up the trim and etc. I also did one coat of the kilz 2; however, I'll be doing probably two more coats by the time it is said and over with.

Please keep in mind that the stand is not finished in the photos, but a good start on it! I put on the gray trim to get an idea of what it would look like and I'm not liking it. I think I am going to go white for the trim! Throw on a nice coat of it and off to the races we go!

753283a39a.jpg
alt="">

bec34715da.jpg
alt="">

The overflow is being ordered this morning, I need to grab some glass from one of the local stores here in Ft. Smith either today or tomorrow to start working on making my baffles. I am hoping to get the overflow in relatively quickly, this way I can get some stuff done on my days off next week! Such as - drilling the tank! I also finally made the decision on the lights that I am going to go with. I ordered the Maxspect Razor R420r LED. I decided to go with this as it comes with both a hanging kit and mounting kit. I do plan to get a canopy at some point, but not quite sure when. So, this is a good option. I also choose it as it means I only need one LED fixture over my tank vs. the possibility of two. I went with the 27" 16000k fixture.

Game plan for the week:

• Head to Lowes and get some glass cut for the baffles and silicon them into the sump. [Lowes sucks, so I called a place in Ft. Smith to cut me some glass panels that are 1/8" thick for the baffles. Just need to pick them up.]
  • Build a skimmer stand out of PVC pipe. [Debating as to if I should build one?]
  • Grab all the plumbing needed. [98 % DONE ]
  • Grab the stuff needed for the stand to get it painted and primed. [DONE ]
  • Get some spray paint to paint the back of the tank black. [DONE ]
  • Order the overflow this week. [DONE ]
  • Pick up the salt from WUW on Monday or Tuesday. [Wrong salt was delivered, figuring out what I will do here.]
  • Mix salt and let it turn for a few days to make sure there is a good mix. [Looking like this won't be until next week. ]
  • Shelve brackets from Lowes.

To Do List:

• Paint the stand. [DONE ]
  • Paint the trim.
  • Paint the interior of the stand with Kilz x 2 or 3 coats. [1/2 DONE ]
  • Drill holes for the plumbing and electrical outlets.
  • Switch out the outlet to be GFCI.
  • Mount DJ Panel.
  • Mount shelves.
  • Get the sump baffles put in.
  • Get the tank drilled once the overflow is in.
  • Paint the back of the stand.
  • Dry fit all the plumbing.
  • Perm fit all the plumbing.
  • Add water and rocks.
  • Start the cycling!

Lol sorry on the weight, I am just used to building sturdy stands. This was the smallest stand I have built to date, Im just used to 200 gallon plus tanks.

Agreed on keeping it clean, depending on the sheen of the dark blue, if you go with the semi gloss or gloss white you can scrub it down pretty easily without messing up the paint.

I think the white gives it a nice pop!

@OBP wrote:
Lol sorry on the weight said:
Don't be sorry, by no means at all. I would rather a tank be overly built than not sturdy enough. I'm agreeing with the white. Just need to make sure it is something that can be easily cleaned.

Alright, so I have been busy today. The wife didn't want to do white trim on the stand. She's crazy, but you know what they say. Happy wife equals happy life. I had to do something to pacify her in order to get her to quit complaining about how big the stand was. As a result, I decide to paint the entire stand the cracked pepper color. It's a super dark dark blue color and if you are color blind or didn't know better you would think it is black. Unless you catch it with the sun or the light just right.

Sorry for the crap photos, I didn't pull out the good camera, just the iPhone. When I get things really going, I'll grab the DSLR and grab some good shots to really show it off.

Front View :

16468728e8.jpg
alt="">

Hardware :

415e739967.jpg
alt="">

Under belly :

b00d91eb3c.jpg
alt="">

Side View :

e5af456110.jpg
alt="">

I also figured that since I had today off that I would change out the GFCI outlet. Yea, let's just say I think that the outlet that I have is a dud. It doesn't matter how it is that I have this damn thing wired, it does not want to work for nothing. The indicator light comes on, but that is it. I have switched the bottom wires to the top to make sure that they were not mixed up. I'll be getting another outlet today or tomorrow and trying again. I'll get a line tester tool to confirm everything is set up properly. I really do not wish to spend $75 to have an electrician come out and wire it for me.

GFCI Outlet :

a97a948f14.jpg
alt="">

I still have yet to go grab the glass panels from the glass company in Fort Smith for the baffles. I will get to it sometime this week. I did go ahead and throw the rock into some RODI water and have it my Jabeo and MJ 400 in a tub for circulation. I know that the Jabeo would be enough, but wanted to make sure. Wanting to make sure that the rock is getting out as much of the phosphates as possible prior to cycling, considering it was deader than dead! This is also going to be the same container that I use to mix salt water in for water changes. I did get the RODI unit moved into the laundry room. We decided not to mount it on the wall at all because it is heavy as hell. Instead, it is sitting on the floor between the wall and the washer. Nice and hidden. I just need to get a split off of the adapter for connecting it to the washer connection.

c5302b5cfe.jpg
alt="">

Update on my list of things to do.

• Paint the stand. [DONE ]
  • Paint the trim. [DONE ]
  • Paint the interior of the stand with Kilz x 2 or 3 coats. [DONE ]
  • Drill holes for the plumbing and electrical outlets.
  • Switch out the outlet to be GFCI. [Pain in the rear - see above why I hate this stupid thing. ]
  • Mount DJ Panel.
  • Mount shelves.
  • Get the sump baffles put in.
  • Get the tank drilled once the overflow is in.
  • Paint the back of the stand. [DONE ]
  • Dry fit all the plumbing.
  • Perm fit all the plumbing.
  • Add water and rocks.
  • Start the cycling!

I also figured that since I had today off that I would change out the GFCI outlet. Yea said:
Are you saying it never trips or stays live? If you know an electrician you may want to have he or she check out the circuit.

@washingtond wrote:
Are you saying it never trips or stays live? If you know an electrician you may want to have he or she check out the circuit. said:
The outlet has the little LED indicator on it. According to the folks at the company who made the outlet, that light should only come on when you hit "RESET". The fact that it is already on as soon as I hit the breaker to turn the power back on tells them it is not wired properly. However, there are only so many places that the black and the white cables can go. Top or bottom on each side and that is it. I have connected the standard outlet back up and it works fine with no problems, so I don't think it is something with the circuit itself. I am leaning more towards the fact that the outlet is a dud. I picked up a GFCI tester at Walmart tonight and another GFCI outlet to try it out. To see what it is that is going on.

Well, a little update so to speak. When I was out tonight I grabbed another GFI outlet and a little tester. I have confirmed that the tester works without any problems. I know that the standard outlet is working at this one particular place in the wall. I think it has something to do with the way the wiring is in the house. Although, it shouldn't be any different from the other outlets, just something seems off. Like I said previously, it doesn't matter how it is that I have the wires. It just doesn't want to work. In fact when I put the tester in, I get no lights at all on the GFI; however, for the standard outlet it lights up like noones business.

Standard Outlet w/ Tester :

faa9f60e32.jpg
alt="">

What the tester looks like when I had the GFI outlet connected.

d90453b302.jpg
alt="">

Now, one thing to keep in mind is that I literally unhooked one wire at a time when connecting it back to the standard outlet to ensure I didn't get the wires confused and it works fine. So, I don't know what the deal is as to why the GFI won't work.

Boy oh boy! God said that let there be lights, and low and behold I got a nice little delivery from the UPS man today. My light fixture made it in that I ordered from BRS. And now ... for the big reveal!

I think they have enough air bubbles to last a good long while in the box.

faaa08da32.jpg
alt="">

And if you're not quite sure how much air bubbles they packed the box with - this will give you a good idea :

ec43b54447.jpg
alt="">

How it's packaged :

9ae30a6df0.jpg
alt="">

5ca5694084.jpg
alt="">

11951b3f7d.jpg
alt="">

The light itself :

Bottom

e833663e9f.jpg
alt="">

510db8b716.jpg
alt="">

Nothing like a ballast to show off, figured if I was showing off the light then the ballast deserved some love.

b270a6b9c0.jpg
alt="">

And now ... for the final light photo. It's on the tank! I was testing to make sure it was in fact in good working order! This is with the preset settings that they have. Excuse all the junk in the tank. It's the holding pen for everything until it's ready for water!

c2d2b54cb0.jpg
alt="">

I also managed to get some more work done in the stand a little bit today. I drilled a hole big enough for the power cords to feed through and mounted the reactor that I have to the back of the stand.

e0b6504737.jpg
alt="">

I did get shipment confirmation yesterday that the overflow has been shipped and should be here Thursday. Which is great news, I think that I may have mentioned this before. I worked a little bit on the plumbing on getting some of the PVC cut to size (as long as possible) to ensure that everything is good to go. When messing with it, I realized that I grabbed some wrong plumbing, such as the T's that I have are slip to threaded and I need slip's for all 3 inputs. So, I have to switch those out. As for the returns, I think I am going to bring them up and barely over the tank vs. drilling two extra holes into the back of the tank.

I had been thinking about where I was going to mount my ballast for the lighting fixture. I knew that I didn't want it attached to the outside of the stand, as I want to keep the stand as "clean" as possible. I knew that I would also be adding additional hardware such as an Apex and etc., in the future. So, with keeping all of this in mind - I laid out an idea for a control panel for under the tank that is totally removable when needed.

Materials :

1 -24" tall x 12" wide for the panel
2 - 3x3 cubes

I attached the 3x3 cubes on each side of the panel on the back side to allow for electrical wires to be stored there nice and tucked away from everything else. I screwed the ballast in for the lighting system and added some velcro for the wave maker (seeing as how this is the only thing that I have aside from the ballast that will go on there). I will be drilling small holes into the panel for the electrical cords to be routed through them to be tucked away nice and neat. As you can also see, I have started slowly but surely of putting in the shelves that will allow me to store things neatly in the stand. I have two more shelves that I will be attaching, I just haven't gotten it done. The shelves are held into place by simple L brackets.

ec16796ef3.jpg
alt="">

The next thing I had to tackle was figuring out how I was going to do the DJ Power Supply. So, I came up with an idea to use 2 L brackets and some velcro to assist in keeping it in place! I may at some point get a nice piece of wood to make a little cubby area for it, but for now this will work. I turned the unit upside down to get the power cord as close as possible to the back panel to ensure that it would reach its way to the outlet.

7f5da96a86.jpg
alt="">

I finally got the overflow in! Boy oh boy, does it look sexy. Looking back, I should have had him just simply put 1" bulkheads in for mounting the overflow to the tank, but hindsight is always 20/20. The bulkheads that are used to attach the inner and outer boxes is 2"'s. At any rate, enjoy the photos! The bulkheads that will be used for the drains are 1.5" bulkheads.

Front view:
c43bb85d13.jpg
alt="">

Side view:
c719b29399.jpg
alt="">

Back view:
45d5165cfa.jpg
alt="">

Bottom view from external box:
9bfcc60706.jpg
alt="">

After getting the overflow in, I got the tank off the stand and figured out where it is that I was going to place this beautifully crafted overflow. I outlined the location of where it is that I want the holes to go. It may not be permanent though, as I may take a razor blade and cut a small notch into the plastic rim of the tank to allow for the overflow to go up a little higher. [ If I were to do this, would it affect the integrity of the rim as it is not being taken off, just notched??] Once I had the outline made for the overflow, I tackled painting the back and bottom of the tank black.

5ed2ece740.jpg
alt="">

I have placed an order for the Jebao Programmable Auto Dosing Pump DP-4 from Amazon. I will be using this for dosing Ca, Mag, Alk, and top off! My next big purchase aside from getting livestock in the tank is hands the Apex controller.

Boy, oh boy! I have been busy!! On Saturday, I had learned that they had gotten the drill bit required for 2" bulkheads in on Friday (earlier than anticipated) at Seafari. So, I quickly made my way up there to get the tank drilled. Again, seriously Stu and James @ Seafari - YOU GUYS ROCK! Thanks for staying late to assist me in the drilling! I didn't get out of there until 10pm. Thanks to Brandon over at Worlds Under Water as well, for staying 15 mins later than needed in order for me to pick up my salt. Just an FYI for you all -- Aqua Vitro Salt is heavy as helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

We had our first attempt at drilling the tank, but with it being a new bit and had never touched glass before - it proved to not like us. The bit bounced around a bit before finally really wanting to work with us. The drill was going great .... until. Well, James punched through the last bit of that hole and as soon as he made it through (or shortly after) it spidered up and to the left :'( . It was very sad needless to say. Then there was some debate as to if it was tempered or not. I had called Marineland prior to even venturing into getting one of their tanks and was assured that they were in fact glass on all panels. James made a quick call to Stu to get some more info. Stu did some homework and learned that Marineland wasn't lying after all! So, off to the store James and I went (since I don't know the area at all) and bought another 40 gal breeder to drill again. Of course it was cold as hell out, so the tank had to cool down before drilling then it was off to the races!

Drilling this particular tank had us take a different approach, after the first one had spidered. We took turns on the holes allowing them to "relax" after being stressed from being cut about half way through. When not working on one hole - the other was being worked. Let's just say we had success and the reef gods were in fact on my side! ;D ;D

c49408f6e8.jpg
alt="">

When I got home, I pulled the tank out of the car and tested to make sure there were not any water leaks. Success again! ;D ;D

f887a6d231.jpg
alt="">

Of course, the fun really starts to begin then! I had mocked up my plumbingto get an idea of how I wanted things to set. Here goes!

2044e29a46.jpg
alt="">

Top of the plumbing that is spray painted and permanently attached to the bulkheads. Below you will see the mocked "underbelly" of the plumbing. You'll see why in a bit :).

4d07500a53.jpg
alt="">

Yesterday, I had gotten a call from the glass shop to let me know that my baffles were ready to pick up. So, of course - off to town I went. I made a pit stop by Lowe's too to exchange out all the excess plumbing that I got and grabbed a few more things that I need. I.E. the light for the sump and all that jazz! Today, after working on the plumbing for a good bit, I put together the baffles in the sump. Can we just say that aquarium silicone STINKS! Talk about fumes burning your eyes that you end up wanting to :'( .

Finished Sump :

c6f6e415ae.jpg
alt="">

Once I let the baffles sit in position for a good bit to ensure that the bond was taking place, it was safe for me to move. I placed it back into the stand so, I could finish mocking up my plumbing to get everything ready for gluing. The only one not mocked up is the return, because, I'm waiting on some loc-line connectors to come in. I will hold off until Thursday/Friday before putting any water in the sump to ensure that everything is sealed nice and good. Don't want there to be any leaks if possible!

bb28878a4b.jpg
alt="">

Of course, knowing that I wouldn't need the sump super right away - it was time for me to get something in that display tank! Off with the sand I go! I grabbed my 60 lbs of sand (yes, that much in my 40 gal B - I like DSB's). Sliced them open, got the sand how I wanted it and then started on the rock work. I was able to get something set up the way I think I like it, but we'll see once the "cloudiness" clears up a bit in the tank to be able to get a good idea of how things are looking and if I need to move anything.

Half way full!

2ca2e961ed.jpg
alt="">

My son realizing that there is something in the tank now and not just a bunch of stuff! I stopped the water there, as my salinity was reading 1.035 and I wanted to make up some RODI water to bring it down to within acceptable range. I will be using the RODI water to fill up the sump with and to work on getting the water cycle just where I want it once I have the return hooked up. As you can see, pretty cloud and the water went in slowly too (as I poured it in 1 gallon at a time).

c79cf28403.jpg
alt="">

Water is starting to clear up!

97365b182e.jpg
alt="">

And for good measure - take a look at what found its way into the tank to kick start things while the sump is getting ready?

5ada3b245f.jpg
alt="">

I also got my Jebao dosing pump in today. It looks good and is powering on.

f3e0cac12e.jpg
alt="">

I should have the connectors tomorrow for the loc-line. Game plan is to have the water in the sump soon and running skimmerless through the cycle. I did take some tests today to get a baseline of where my levels were off. I, of course, did not test for ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates yet.

1/20/2015

Ph - 7.8
Ca - 600 ppm
Mg - 1600 ppm
Alk - 14.0

Great progress, and great job so far! Watching your thread I'm getting to re-live the thrill of setting up a new tank. :)

Today after work, I worked on the tank some more. After realizing yesterday that I had my return was plumbed wrong - I decided today was the day it was getting fixed, when I should have been sleeping. I will be doing banging my head much later when I am working this evening.

None the less, here's the update!

Full sump view w/ light on :

44698024df.jpg
alt="">

View without the light on :

dde5240967.jpg
alt="">

Full view of display and underbelly with my lights on (No, I am not running the cycle with the lights on!):

5fc52d9af0.jpg
alt="">

I have had the shrimp sitting in the tank for two days now. I figured it would be worth a test to see if I was picking up anything and low and behold there's a party going on in the tank.

242fc23fd7.jpg
alt="">

Going to put the skimmer on a stand?

Everything is looking real good, cant wait till you start stocking the tank :)