Regal tang scratching

Blue Water

Membership Expired
He's only been with me two days. He scratches himself against rocks and swims horizontal against the sand to scratch his side. I does look like some sort of abrasions where he keeps doing this are starting to appear. He seems really happy otherwise.
I'm new to the hobby any input would be appreciated.
Basic params are good other fish are all happy.

I got my first Hippo Tang a week ago today. It was a semi-impulse buy (I knew I was going to get one but not that day) so I didn't set up a quarantine tank before I got him. I took my chances and put him in the tank when I got home.

He started scratching on the rocks, the sand, the brain coral, and everything else so I was sure he had Ick. A week later he seems to be all better and never developed the white spots or any other symptoms of Ick besides the scratching. I don't know if the brain (or some other coral) stung him when he got into the tank or if he really does have Ick and it's just not showing up in full force yet. I keeping him well fed and as stress free as possible and I am hoping for the best.

Hippo Tangs are notorious Ick magnets. Study up and keep a close eye on him for signs of Ick.

Here's what it looks like when it's full blown.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_2iVbB9CQugE/R8TgQGU6RWI/AAAAAAAAANw/drG-5LgZ8_A/s1600-h/IMG_5928_1.JPG

Yeah, yours sounds about like mine.. although I don't have any white spots. I think he's stressed out from the new tank. He darts and hides a lot if there is much movement around the tank. I don't have any corals or stinging stuff in there. Most of the time he's swimming around with his new buddy the yellow tang. They seem to be best pals.

The spots in mine appear to be abrasions from him scratching himself too much. I may be setting up a quarantine tank here in the next week I hope he'll be ok.