Refrigerator chiller - Alternative to expensive chiller

[Hi -

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using a really small refrigerator (1.8 cu. ft.) as a chiller? I was thinking that with a couple of holes in the top, a good measure of tubing, and a power head, that a system could be devised to use this as a chiller. Then it dawned on me that tight temperature control might be too difficult. How tight of a control point is good enough? I would think that you could devise a system to have the heater fight against the chiller. Has anyone on this board actually attempted something like this?]

[@mmiller40 wrote:
You need to be close to water supplyor you would have line all throught the house. said:
Unfortunately the location is not near a water supply and my family nixed the idea of running a line to the tank. So, it sounds like a real chiller is the only real option.

Darn the luck...]

[:) I also have read 6-7-8 different types of DYI systems. If the drip will work better than the refrig system, then hows about dripping through a refrig/freezer?
This address:DYI Chiller Project
is the most detailed chiller idea I have seen and I would sugest a Medusa Controller?- or cheep a 200/300watt heater to regulate, but I would probably get two heaters, because if one fails while you are out for a long day, UUUGHOOOO?
I do not think this person spent all this time to draw and invent a item/project that can not work, but for every application there is only so much a person can expect. I am sure if this is modified, a person can expect les or better results.
I think for the trouble? and cost? by the time you are done, it might be better to get that 1/4 NEW! with controller unit off E-Bay, on the buy it now $215-245?
I am going to build this, off the plans, I have a great older 3rd frige,(side by side) in the garage and I have two pumps ordered. I am hooking it to a 500 gallon system to see what it can do and I will report. I do not care if it works at all, I am just interested in buliding these DYI projects.
Check out that site, it is a cooooool project, just to tinker with if nothing else. :idea:]

[If you need help send me a pm or post here. I have a Universal certification for refridgeration and Electrical experience. I have worked in automation and am currently enrolled in Electronics classes. Have you thought of using a regular thermostat? what controller are you going to use? Have you see those freezers at Sams club?]

[I really was impressed with this thread on Reef Central:

Chiller thread

You may need to click to the first page, but it is a great system from what I can ascertain. Noise and heat is OUTside!]

[???
I have not assembled all the comps yet , but I have the pumps and the Admiral side by side and it is a great machine.
I am interested in the idea of having something that can hold my fish food/beer/milk for the kids/clod drinks/and cool my tank all at the same time? sound like a winner to me.
I will send mail if I have a question and I am sure I could run into something, I guess?, I do not know it all, but at least I am licensed in 6 things, C-54 Ceramics Mosaics, Stone fabrication Slab granite/marble,General Contracting,Electrical,Plumbling, General Masonary. I just seem to have a nack for tests and building.
I only specialize in stone, granite and marble installations, this is where the fun is, playing with mud installations. I ran a company on the east coast since 1986 and on the west coast since 92-/2000 and then retired at@38, I am now 40 and feal like I am 60?
I guess it is kind of like a football player, a person can only work only so many 3 day shifts and get knocked down so many times. Makes my back hurt thinking about it. :Oo:]