Refractometer Calibration

Wickedirish

Premium Member
 Since recently getting my tank up and running I had my tank set at 1.025 roughly, on a whim I tested my DI water and it measured 1.004 which I thought to be fairly off, tested tap then DI again and both had the same result at 1.004, should I calibrate to this since I don't have any calibration fluid on hand or leave as is until I can get some ordered?

1) Where are you? I'm in Murphy and have cal. fluid.2) Even easier, go to a LFS or friend's house, test their tank water, compare to their reading.3) Odds are you'll be fine with setting 0 from DI.  I've yet to detect a difference between tap and DI, even with the high TDS water that comes out of the faucet sometimes here.4) When you do get your cal. fluid back in, set it with the cal. fluid and then take a reading with DI water.  If it reads 0 you know you'll probably be fine next time.  Do this every now and then to confirm that the trend holds.  If you have an offset with the DI, remember what it is.  With my refractometer (poor memory here) it's off by a consistent 0.001.  As a result I'm considering just using DI and remembering the offset.  Even if I forgot, that's close enough IMO.

I appreciate the offer, I'm a fair ways off from Dallas so I'm going with my gut and using the DI to calibrate with, I ordered a floating hydrometer/thermometer so I can at least have a baseline comparison plus I need the thermometer for when I'm making water, I've slowly been increasing salinity in the tank and I have already noticed one of the polyps in there opening that had not before so I think I'm on the right track, live and learn I guess.

I'm in mid cities and have some. When you do get it, you should float the bottle in tank water as temps affect SG as well.