Reeflux 12K's anyone?

afishfanatic

Membership Expired
I am currently running 3 400W Reeflux 10K's. The color is very white and I would like a little more blue. I have heard some people say that the 12K's are comparable to 20K's, so I wanted to hear some first hand opinions. Also I am using Icecap electronic ballasts. Anyone running this setup?

I am running 250 watt Reeflux 12K's on Icecap ballasts and they are very blue. I actually offset the blue by running 10K VHO's. I have really been thinking of switching to Reeflux 10K's instead.

Hi,
I have both reeflux SE 10K and 12k(250Watters on icecap's), ran ~ 6-7 month with the 10K's and had incredible growth, switched to 12K for ~4-5 months and growth slowed waaayyy down. Switched back to 10K's two weeks ago and hated the look as it looked kinda washed out, switched to T5 pure actinic and actinic plus bulbs( from VHO's) to offset the 10K's and love the new look.

Cheers,

I've tried 20K XM, 15K XM, 10K XM and now run 12K Reeflux. I love the look of the 12K Reeflux the best so far. Soft white with a light blue tint. I've used them since 6/15/08 and have noticed considerable growth and great color from my corals. Several on-line vendors use these bulbs too.

*I've always used Icecap electronic ballasts*
I thought...
20K XM = looked too purple/blue with slow growth
15K XM = soft white with good growth
10K XM = blinding white but great growth

Mark

Also, I think the wattage and whether they are SE or DE makes a difference. The ballast can also make a difference. I run a 150watt Phoenix and 250watt Phoenix, both 14k and DE and they look totally different. The 250watt seems to be a lot bluer to me. I had the 250 watt 10k reeflux initially and had great growth but a little yellow to me. Switched to 12k and it looked much better but growth almost stopped on my SPS. I've now switched over to 14k Phoenix and personally like the look better than the 12k Reeflux. I've only had them a couple of weeks so I don't know what growth will be like.

Well after seeing MBZ's tank thread, I am going to order the 12K's. I know pictures are misleading, but the tank does not look that blue and the corals have a lot of pop. Thanks everyone!

I run reeflux 12k 250w SE and like them. Before I had the XM 15K which had a nice blue but the growth was non existent, every thing stayed the same and that goes with Sanjays finding's, the xm15K has the lowest par of any bulb, even lower than the XM 20K .

@rckrzy1 wrote:
I run reeflux 12k 250w SE and like them. Before I had the XM 15K which had a nice blue but the growth was non existent said:
That's funny just looked the Sanjay comparison today. The 15K XM had 55 par versus 74 par on 20k running on the M58 standard magnetic ballasts. This is almost 33%!!!

The 14K DE phoenix looks a helleuva lot better than 12K reeflux DE IMO. The stuff is practically glowing.

Here is the link should anyone care to see for themself.

http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/selectperformancedata.php

Well, I have been running the 12K's for about 2 weeks now. I have to say that I am torn on the decision. The corals, especially the lps, show much more color under the 12k's vs. the 10k's. But, the tank is way too blue for my taste. I was hoping for an overall color comerable to this tank of the month thread on Reefcentral.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/totm/index.php

Since we have the same lighting setup, I assumed they would be close. Maybe the burn in preiod is longer than 2 weeks with these bulbs. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

@afishfanatic wrote:
Since we have the same lighting setup said:
Hi,
I have seen it mentioned in several places that it usually takes about 100hrs before the bulbs are burned in. My 12K reeflux's did lighten up a tad after burn-in.

Cheers,

Dean, are you running actinic supplementation? I am using 12K Reeflux 250 with the coralvue electronic ballasts. They are made to go with the bulbs. I run no actinic supplementation and have good color and good growth, a good compromise for me. I have them in Luminarc 3's.

After about two weeks they do lighten up.

Kah