Fish Think Pink

Club Secretary
Staff member
Board of Directors

reef-tank-1-scaled.jpeg

Reef Tank Maintenance​

MICHAEL PALETTA
3 DAYS AGO

A reef tank is not like a television. You can’t simply turn it on, sit back and watch it, and not have to interact. Like gardening where you need to cultivate, seed, and weed in order to reap a harvest, or raising orchids where you need to manage the humidity and nutrients a reef tank requires effort. And a significant amount of this effort comes from doing regular maintenance. While not glamorous or sexy like selecting corals or fish or even aquascaping the tank, regular maintenance goes a long way toward long-term success in the hobby.

The goal of doing regular maintenance is to keep things as stable as possible while at the same time keeping all of the equipment in optimal condition. Regular maintenance includes water testing and maintaining the RO/DI system, which has been discussed previously, water changes, which will be a separate article of its own, as well as numerous things that need to be done in a tank regularly. Before discussing the maintenance tasks that need to be done, I would like to point out some of the things I have learned that have made doing maintenance easier for me.

For tips and suggestions great fort those new to the hobby (and those maybe just challenged by stability), then please go: