Red Tabling Acro Growth Sequence

Well, it's not much of a growth sequence yet... Just an establishing shot...

This is the Red Tabling Acropora I got in the raffle at the Winter Social (I believe it came from Robert, but I'm not 100% sure on that, thanks to whoever donated it!)

PICT7119.med.jpg
alt="">

Brian, That was one of my frags....looking great!
It will be interesting to see your growth sequence.
Good luck with that frag, the moma is a cranberry/pinkish red and about 10" across and 7-8" from front to back and about as tall. Used to be a perfect oval before fragging an inch or so off the edges...
Its one of my favorite SPS corals.

@Serk wrote:
Nothing is more fun than a good healthy competition. Actually, in the name of "science", we can also report observational data under different conditions. I too have a "new" frag of Roberts Acropora Anthocercis. Below are posted pictures from the back and a top down. Lets compare growth rates and coloration. I have it under a 400 W 10 K bulb and placed it in the tank on 12-10-06. The coral is approximately 12-14 inches below the surface of the water. Your color almost has a purple tint to the tips??? They were both cut and grown under 6500K bulbs. I have a few more axial coralites and may have a big head start :twisted: Lets post growth/coloration every 3 months!

PC110020.jpg
alt="">

PC110019.jpg
alt="">

You've definitely got a head start on me, and you'll "beat" me anyway, but sure, sounds like fun! I actually hope to do an update more often than once a quarter, hopefully at least once a month...

Mine's under a 10k Reeflux and kinda under a 12k Reeflux (Both 175w's), but I mounted it really low in the tank, as I'm outta real estate in the "prime SPS" zones...

Watch specifically at the base if it encrusts. That would be your best observational point.

I too have a frag of it that is doing okay in my tank, but not growing too quickly.

So why don't you join in Marc. I would love to compare growth and coloration from your system. You can definetely take better pictures than us :p

8)

I didn't want to clog up Serk's growth thread, but I guess he can start another and we'll call this the Comparison Thread. :)

pink_table_1122.jpg
alt="">

Okay I wanna play. I will post tonight the piece I got from him. It got it at the frag swap. (pssst! I want more :D )

I'll join in.

This is also the same frag from Robert (Geez Robert, how many of these things did you have?!)

The color is way off. For some reason, there's a green tint to it when it's really a peach color.

This is under 250w 10,000k lighting.

DSC00125Medium.jpg
alt="">

It has recently started showing good signs of upcoming growth (notice the white tips). They started appearing this month.

Just another sign of how these guys can adapt and change colors from one tank to the other.

Steve there are a few of those frags out there! Glad to hear your hanging in there. If there is anything I can help with jlk. I need to come by and see your tank sometime.

Well, looks like I need to get one of those acros as well, just to be sure that the genetic line survives. Let me know when you have another one available Robert.

I think for the purpose of a full observation, I should get one of these frags in my tank as a control to keep your reports honest. :mrgreen:

Ok, so I said every 3 months, but I wanted a one month comparison. Here is the original and one month later.

Old
PC110020.jpg
alt="">

Current
P1080050.jpg
alt="">

Unfortunately the angle isn't exactly the same and the tenuis in the background has grown as well. You can clearly see new whitish growth tips with good encrusing on the base. I think that my colors are not going to change at all. I was hoping that it would pink up a bit, but I can't complain; cranberry is cool.

My latest pic of mine is from 12/30, and other than lightning up, can't see that it's doing anything... It might be too low in my tank... :cry:

PICT7618.med.jpg
alt="">

Turkey baster or no turkey baster, all bets are off until you get those damn Tegastes acroporanus out of your tank!!!!

Ryan, I've been looking several times a day, at night with a flashlight, with a jeweler's loupe, a magnifying glass, macro lens on my camera, etc, and haven't been able to find one single "bug" since 12/20...

Still not saying I'm "cured", but even if they're still there, they should (theoretically) be in small enough numbers as to not be causing much impact...

...time will tell...

No to digress too much, but there is a school of thought that believes they will live within the coralites and this is what prevents full or any polyp extension. I don't really buy this, but it is somewhat plausible.