Red slime

tthomas81

Membership Expired
Hi,

I have a 150 gallon FOWLR and a 29 gallon bio cube that have both been running a few months now. I am starting to see red slime accumulating on the substrate.

Does anyone know how to treat this or even if I should worry about it.

I do a 10% water change weekly and carbon is running on the 150 gallon.

do you have any clean up crew? How much and often do you feed? How long are your light cycles... how old are the bulbs... all these can creat this problem... poor flow also can cause in a area...

I do not have a clean up crew in the 150 Gallon but I do have 10 hermits and 15 snails in the biocube. The 150 gallon may need more flow but I do not have a clean up crew due to predation. The bulbs may be 8 months old and are PC's in the 150 gallon. The biocube is only 4 months old.

I leave the lights on for 9 hours a day for each system. I feed the FOWLR tank once a day and the biocube every other day.

I actually get it from the LFS close to me. I think I will start making my own here soon though. Is there any quick fixes for it or do I let it take its course?

@tthomas81 wrote:
I actually get it from the LFS close to me. I think I will start making my own here soon though. Is there any quick fixes for it or do I let it take its course? said:
Red slime remover works great. Make sure you do about 2-3 20% water changes and keep your skimmer off for a couple of days (when it goes back on it will go crazy)

I feel like red slime remover only masks the problem... you need to find the cause... I the long run you will be better off...

I understand. So would you suggest starting with shorter lighting cycles first and then new bulbs maybe?

@kraigrrr wrote:
I feel like red slime remover only masks the problem... you need to find the cause... I the long run you will be better off... said:
Can't he look for the cause with the red slime removed from the tank? It's just a 20% water change after he treats it, and he's changing water anyway.

David

I had this same problem in my biocube. Sometimes even when fixing the underlying cause, it will take a while to get the red slime under control. I was manually removing it and doing huge water changes and it was still growing. I actually used the red slime algae remover and ever since that day, I haven't had it creep back up. I've never experienced any green hair algae either and my tank if full of coralline algae (so much so that I scrape it off the glass every weekend).

Sometimes, in order to win the war, you need a little help, and although there is always an underlying cause, I didn't change much after I used it (as I did everything I could to get it under control and it was still growing before I used it). I can't say its for everyone, but it definitely helped me win the war.

If you do a search for "ChemiClean" on this site, you will find information about how to use it. Also, you can do a search on Melev's Reef, which belongs to Marc, our vice president, and also a sponsor of this club.

David

i've got red stuff in my nano. is the chemiclean safe for invertebrates? I've got a srbta and I want make sure it survives

@LONGATTO wrote:
thanks! and I just read your review and answered my own questions. Thanks for a great review! said:
If you want to borrow some just let me know. I used it in my tank with a srbta and hermits and had no casualties.