Red Sea Max 130 - 34-gallon build

Hey guys, I'm a few weeks in on this build so I thought I'd share a few pic's. I started with a RSM that needed some serious help. It had been neglected for several months and was covered in hair algae and was pretty much impossible to look at and see anything good. I spent a couple of weeks cleaning it up and ordering replacement parts and have gotten it ready to go. I'm 3 weeks in to my cycle now, clean up crew will be added tomorrow, so things are progressing.

Pukani rock from BRS

IMG_6509.jpg
alt="">

Black substrate

IMG_6505.jpg
alt="">

Goodies

IMG_6560.jpg
alt="">

Upgraded skimmer to Tunze 9002, inTank media basket and skimmer cup. Good skimmate after 5-10 mins.

IMG_6578.jpg
alt="">

Beginning of cycle

IMG_6584.jpg
alt="">

LED mod

IMG_6629.jpg
alt="">

IMG_6634.jpg
alt="">

IMG_6645.jpg
alt="">

IMG_6643.jpg
alt="">

And FTS with new LED's only.

IMG_6640.jpg
alt="">

As I said, I'm 3 weeks in and things are going well. Hoping to add a fish after the new year and a week after my first water change. I'll be watching the params to make sure she's ready. I plan to do only softies and LPS, so this should be a fun little tank. The LED mod was cheap and easy and made with LED's from Oznium.com. Took very little time and I'm more than happy with how they turned out. They don't provide any additional color with the stock lighting on (at least not to my eye), but they definitely give me something to look forward to at the dusk/dawn times.

I'll update as things progress...

Looking good. Let us know how that tunze skimmer works out for you. I have to redsea skimmer in mine and its trash.

The Tunze is already proving to be a great skimmer. Even with no bioload it is pulling a ton of gunk out. I've heard a lot of good things about it and it's looking like I'm getting the same great results. I'd go for it if you are thinking about upgrading. I did not run my RSM with the stock skimmer, but I read enough about how terrible they were to know that I was going to upgrade...

Welcome to the RSM club.... DFW style. It looks greats. I see you did your research and spent money wisely ;) Congrats!