Red algae on my sand bed?

[This is my first tank and it has been running for about 8 months, the other day I notice that deep in the sand bed there seems to be something red growing. I do not know what it is or even if it is bad or good. Is it algae?
8358073-S.jpg
alt="">]

Edited By bolis03 on 1094829642

[cyano bacteria. It grows because of excess nutrients in the water, but doesn't hurt anything except the eyes. :) If you have a refugium to pull nutrients out of the water and keep your tank and parameters healthy, it should eventually go away. There are a few things that will eat it; conches I think.]

[I don't think cyano bacteria. It looks to be regualr coraline algae.

If you can easlly shiophen it off its Cyano, I f its growing
at the front of the sand bed and is hard (crusty) its coraline.

Its growing in the front because it can get light.

Nice tank]

Edited By salsini on 1094832493

[TealCobra is right, I didn't think about that. It CAN hurt some corals terribly if it grows on them...on your sand it doesn't hurt anything.

I do still think it's cyano and not coraline, but that's easy for you to check. I've had the same problem for a while; a liitle cyano along the front glass just below the level of the sand, although no where else in the main tank. I'm sure mine is cyano.]

[cyano is real 'mushy', and coraline is hard and caked on to the glass. Stick your finger or something down there and see if it moves around.]

[Just a helpful tip I picked up somewhere.

If the "junk" you can see in the front of the sandbed is getting unsightly you can take a cheap plastic spatula and use it to "clean" between the glass and the DSB. Do this carefully as you don't want to stir up the DSB very much if any at all. If it's coralline though this won't help. It is too hard to be removed this way.]

[From my experience that has always been brown hair algae. I do have some coralline on the front glass but based on this thread being new to the hobby... it is doubtful that your tank is established well enough that coralline could have been seeded on the glass that quickly? Just a thought though.

It is also my opinion that it couldn't readily be cyanobacteria either to see buildup like that on the front glass it would take cyano probably at least 5 months???]

[I really like your tank dude. Is that a 37 high? Also you asked if a protien skimmer would help to pull out nutrients?? Does that mean you dont have one yet? If so, I was just curious as to what you were using to filter your tank.]

[Chris "prizing winning" :laugh long:

I think its brown hair algae I am almost positive of it... just based on possible scenario. But without closer examinations can't tell.

I am almost certain it is not coralline algae though that would be a small miracle.

The way to resolve the problem is the same though. If it's cyanobacteria it is too early to chemically treat because Nitrosomas, Nitrobacter, K-bacteria (all necessary for the nitrogen cycle) are still developing

The solution is a sand sifter of some sort.

That is the real question though to determine that need to know:

How big is the tank?

How long has it been set up?

How long has the out break been?

How deep is the substrate?

Of that how deep is the growth? ... first two inches?]

[Cyno grows real fast, if you come home and notice more then you did the day befoe, its cyno, if it showed up slowly over time its probably coraline. cyno will 'coat' a surface and come off very easily. Coraline is adhere to the surface and look like part of it, it will not easily come off.

oh yah lol just saw the picture, its probably cyno by where it is and the size/shape. That little bit on the glass/sand won't hurt anything, its likley due to small nutrient pockets of low flow + light , nothing to worry about in your situation. You can use a credit card or something to scrape it away if you don't like it. Better to get it out then mold it into the sand bed, but good luck with that lol]

Edited By mwolek on 1095394675

[Sorry, for the late response and thanks for the complement regarding my tank even thought it is somewhat empty my main priority at this moment is to keep the soft corals and fish alive and in good health before I venture out and get the expensive corals. It is a small 37g that is approx 30 high that has been running about 8 months. I do have a protein skimmer running but I do not think it is working correctly. I read everyone’s responses and I added another power head to get better water flow and a goby to do better job at cleaning the sand than the snails are doing now. After a few day of adding the goby the sand is clearly looking cleaner and the red spots seem to have gone, not totally but some. Someone also asked me what I am I filtering my tank with, well the water enters the sump into the bioballs chamber, I know newbie mistake, and then the water flows through a carbon bag and out to the protein skimmer and returned to the tank. I do not if the way I am filtering has anything to with the red spots and some break out of brown algae on the glass and just about everything else. Can someone tell what I might be doing wrong?]