Real Reef Rock

Dewana

Membership Expired
Starting up my first saltwater tank, or at least in the planning stages of it. There seems to be alot of debate about the Real Reef Rock. They are either 100% for it or 100% against it. I have to be honest, I REALLY like that the product is eco friendly, but I also want to make sure I'm doing what is healthy for my tank. The color doesn't bother me, maybe because I'm new and just don't realize the difference, but I've looked at a few established tanks in LFS and I can't tell the difference. Has anyone used it. Is there anything I need to know to help me make this decision?

IMHO it looks artificial. Dyed purple. Maybe a year down the road nobody can tell the difference in a tank covered with coraline.
I'm about to make my own rock. More than likely its going to be more trouble than it's worth.

I will almost always be the first one say that you should do what makes you and your tank happy.
Then again, most of DFWMAS thinks I'm crazy. :)

I completely disagree with shs. We did a mix of real reef rock and dry rock. Real reef rock is the way to go if you can get a good price. After a month it does not look fake anymore. Well worth it to me. We love it and will never go another way when starting a new tank. We are on our third tank in less than a year. This picture is about 2 months after setup.

u3y3umyt.jpg
alt="">

Matt

I need to add that some of the rocks in the tank were already covered in coralline from our old tank. I would take a picture now but the lights are off. New coralline is covering the purple now. We like it because you don't get the nasty greens and browns on the purple.

Matt